Notices

SO Scared and I do not know what to do

Old 04-06-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SO Scared and I do not know what to do

I am 32 yrs. old and have been extremely addicted to Norco for 2 years now. I have tried EVERYTHING to quit and have failed every.single.time :'(
I have tried the Thomas recipe numerous times, I tried suboxone, I have tried cold turkey....I don't know what to do. All I know is I have to stop!!! I am dangerously close to losing my family, I have already lost 2 jobs due to these horrible pills The last time I tried to quit I went 10 days and there was NO relief....not one day went by that I said to myself "I am starting to feel better". I wanted to go to the hospital so bad, I had every symptom you can imagine along with some really scary ones, hallucinating, hearing things, it was so scary and awful I cannot do that again! During those 10 days tho I was out of Sub and also ran out of my Xanax so do you think that withdrawal period was 10x worse due to me coming off Norco, sub & Xanax? I do not take Xanax anymore or anything for that matter except the Norco. My doctor dropped me pretty much after I cam clean to him & he prescribed me 15 subs...I have no access to Xanax or subs anymore. If I were to stop taking the Norco now this time around will it be easier because that is the only thing I am withdrawing from? I cannot go thru that again, I just wanted to die Please any advice would be so very much appreciated...Please!!! I have never been so desperate in my life I don't know what to do anymore :'(
Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Cooper, there is plenty of support here. Stick around.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Cooper,
I'm on my 5th day off of all opiates, so I know it can be done. We are all different, so what works for one person may not be the answer for another, but I truly believe that you can figure out a way to get off these drugs that will work for you. There is a ton of support here, and so many people have shared their stories. I found a lot of inspiration and strength from reading about their experiences, and I know this helped me take the leap.
For me, I so was terrified of how sick I was going to get from withdrawal that I was too afraid to go cold turkey, but everything I had read about the aftermath of using suboxone or methadone to get through the acute phase sounded equally bad, so I was afraid of that, too. I would have jumped at the chance to go to rehab, or even just detox, but I didn't feel that those options were available to me, so I spent several weeks weaning myself off of opiates. It was hard, and I felt pretty bad for most of those weeks, but I don't think I got nearly as sick as I would have going cold turkey. This isn't the right approach for everyone, but so far, it's working for me. My point here is less about what I did than it is about finding your own way through this. There are so many options, and there is a way to do this that is the right one for you. I think the most important thing for me while going through this was to keep reminding myself that I knew, beyond any doubt, that I was going to get to the other side of it.
Coming here is a really good start. Welcome.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Cooper, welcome to SR
Old 04-06-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cooper - have you tried a detox center yet? If you have access to a detox facility it is going to be much safer and likely much more comfortable than doing this at home.

As far as hallucinations go, I never had that coming off of opiates while fully awake. Sometimes after periods of severe sleep deprivation I would get them while trying to go to sleep. I never had to deal with benzo withdrawal personally, but you can read some of the other threads on here to see what folks went through with that.

Also, when I was coming off of short-acting opiates (oxy/H) things would be significantly better by day 10. There may be something else going on if you were still feeling that bad on day 10.

This is one of those where you really need to talk to a doctor. Coming off of any one of those three drugs you mentioned is difficult in itself, but coming off all three is going to make it much more complicated. There is no way for any of us to know what it is going to be like when you quit the Norco. You are making the assumption that you would only be withdrawaling from Norco, but you may still be withdrawaling from the Xanax / Subs and not know it. Again, there is no way for any of us to know that either, but if you sit down with your doctor and go through all the dosages, timing, etc. they should be able to give you a straight answer.

If you are worried for your safety and can't get in touch with a doctor then just bite the bullet and go to the ER.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Cooper. I hope the suggestions here will help. I'm so glad you reached out for support.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Cooper!

I'm glad you are ready to change your life.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

None of us are Drs so it's difficult for us to answer medical questions about withdrawal & what you might experience.
There's some great advice here tho from folks who've been there Cooper

You'll find a ton of support here. You can do this.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just refilled my script for Ambien....can I possibly sleep thru this?? My husband will hate me but I feel like I have honestly tried it all.....except rehab/detox....those options are sadly just NOT an option for me. I have 5 Norco 10mg left. Do you guys think I can just sleep as much as possible the next three days while taking the Ambien and take 1 pill when I feel like I might die? Even 1/2 a pill? Does anyone think this plan can work? I am already doubting my will power to do it but I HAVE to Any help or advice would be so greatly appreciated!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cooper, you are right about the Xanax withdrawal as benzo withdrawals are horrible and I went through it with lorazepam ( Ativan). I quit cold turkey and went through the worst anxiety attack in my life. My blood pressure was at a constant 159/105 and I finally went to my dr. Who helped me titrate down.

If you were quittin Xanax and Norco at the same time I can assure you that you were doomed from the beginning. I am glad you are off the benzodiazepine and would recommend getting medical help titrating off the opiates so it presents less stress on your body. Godd luck to you.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Cooper - like I said above - we cannot give you medical advice here.

I understand your reluctance, but you need to see a Dr to get real answers to questions like this

Do you guys think I can just sleep as much as possible the next three days while taking the Ambien and take 1 pill when I feel like I might die? Even 1/2 a pill? Does anyone think this plan can work? I am already doubting my will power to do it but I HAVE to
D
Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, Cooper! I really hope you will stick around and succeed!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am not asking for medical advice really.....just any advice on how to get through this would be extemely helpful
Old 04-06-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cooper - is there any way you can reach out to the Dr. that scripted the Ambien for specific guidance?

In my experience, taking sleep meds were ineffective for getting sleep in withdrawal. To get to sleep I would have to take absurd doses and basically put myself in a coma. Looking back on it, I am really shocked that I didn't die during the process. On one night in particular I took a handful of benzos and thought I was unconscious the whole night. When I woke up in the morning I had bruises all over and my wife showed me a video from last night where I was falling down a flight of stairs.

I thought I had learned my lesson, but this go around I took an Ambien at somewhere around two weeks in and it gave me sleep paralysis for hours on end. At least I wasn't taking absurd doses, but it still didn't really work because my mind was still awake for basically the whole night.

Sorry that I don't have more personal experience to share that is uplifting, but insomnia was just part of the package for me. The only thing that worked for me was accepting that fact and keeping busy at night instead. Hot bathes did help me somewhat when trying to get to sleep. If I had gone to a medical facility where I could have been taken care of by a doctor it may have been different.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cooper, I was where you were a few weeks ago. I finally had to breakdown and go into outpatient treatment. At least make an intake appointment to talk about your options with a doctor. It's a very emotional step. I cried the whole time. I'm sure people have been able to detox themselves but I definitely couldn't. If you at least make that first appointment its up to you where to go from there. I'm in my 2nd week and still have lots of anxiety but there is no other option for me. Good luck, you're not alone!