Notices

Temptation and Impulse

Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Temptation and Impulse

I am going to a concert tomorrow. This will be the first time that I am going out to a social event since my 56 days of sobriety. I think that I'll be alright, but I don't completely trust myself. Impulse is a scary thing. I plan to start my day strong with a yoga class, SR, and an online meeting. Its actually sick that I can be this scared to death that I'll drink... knowing how much damage it has caused me in the past... that in the moment I could feel uncomfortable or something and just say screw it and then only God knows where the night will lead. I have a lot going for me right now. I want to stack as many of my recovery tools in my favor for tomorrow as I've got. I can't keep hiding away from real life... but I'm scared to be around the temptation.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not even going to try to talk you out of it - but I have to admit I never would have contemplated going to a concert at 56 days.

If you have a sober friend going, or st least one who supports your recovery stick by them. Have plans for what to do if someone offers you a drink, of someone asks you why you're not drinking, and what to do if you feel the urge.

Have an escape plan, just in case

I can't keep hiding away from real life...
I hear this a lot and sure, no you can't - but you can pick your battles

D
Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I put a lot of thought into whether I would go or not. There are two things in my favor: one of the two friends who I am going with has been sober since July. The second favorable circumstance is that this is a General Admission concert, so once we are "in the crowd," no one is going to go back and forth out of the crowd to get a drink.

Dee - How long did you wait before going back out to regular events? I am bored out of my mind. Borderline depressed. I don't know what to do. I feel cut off from everyone and everything.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure how long exactly but it was 90 days +.

I think a lot of us drink for so many years we actually forget there's other things we can do apart from drinking on one hand and sitting on the couch glumly on the other.

I certainly forgot.

But when I realised I didn't have to be a hermit or a prisoner in my own home I started to do things, small things at first, like going for coffee, pizza, movies, art galleries. museums, walks in the park, hobbies, interests, playing sport or music, community volunteering...nothing that I needed to be around alcohol for.

That's the way I built up my 'sober muscles' for rejoining society
Old 04-05-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're lucky that you have a friend in a similar situation. I'm hoping I can eventually find the motivation to start doing sober activities. That will drastically improve my satisfaction with sobriety. I usually plan possible activities, but I end up bored at home every weekend. I guess it will take time after years of using alcohol as my motivation to go out.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I made it through. Having my friend who does not drink anymore made all the difference. The other friend who drinks often looked like a mess. I felt an urge to drink in the beginning but I got through that and I was so happy that I did afterwards. I am ironically sick today, some type of stomach upset, but at least I know its not from boozing the night before. I am almost at 60 days and I cannot wait to hit the mile stone.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done! Sorry your sick, but happy it's not from the sauce!