Notices

A depression question

Old 04-05-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A depression question

Is there anyone out there who has beaten depression without taking tablets or anything like like? Mine has lasted about 3 years and i dont know what to do. I heard doctors couldnt really do anything for it apart from drugs. Im just really curious because i thought if i gave up drinking i would be better, but even after a few months of sobriety i still have that feelling of emptyness. Will it ever go away ? I wake up with many activities to do but my mind convinces me not to do it. I thought maybe im being lazy but i never use to be like this.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What about counseling? I take antidepressants but also see a counselor and it's very helpful to me.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found I had to give up drinking for one...but I also had to make changes to my life.

I sat around for a while doing nothing - which is what I did when I was drinking - great for a drunk but deathly boring and demoralising for a guy trying to stay sober.

a few months down the road if you stop drinking, and you're working really hard on a building a life you enjoy...but you still feel depressed?

then maybe it's a clinical thing and you need to discuss that with your Dr./counsellor

D
Old 04-05-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a pretty bad depressive episode once from which I got better without professional help (not even therapy), but I would not recommend what I did. Especially the fact that I did not stop drinking. I would suggest that you stop drinking, seek help from a mental health professional, and discuss possible treatment options for you. That's why this profession exists: they do want and can help. I think depression, if it's bad, is quite similar to addiction itself in that it's very challenging and difficult to beat on our own. After my experience I would never try on my own again.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree. It's a complicated thing - could be many causes. I personally don't think medication is always the answer, but professional help is definitely the first place to start.

Getting out of the deep water is the first thing. Medication is not always needed long-term, but it can help to get past the hard first part while other methods are explored.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you're looking for a straight over the counter and/or natural approach, I've had success with 5-HTP in the past.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've battled depression and anxiety almost all my life. I've been on and off of meds, tried herbal remedies, exercise, counseling, the whole gamut. My best advice is that you see a medical professional and get evaluated. Your Dr. will be better able to tell you whether you need to be on meds or not. Depression can be tricky and your better off if you have a professional help you with it. I've found when I'm depressed that I'm not thinking about things rationally and logically, and I often can't see the extent of my depression without professional help. there is no shame in taking an antidepressant if needed. Call your Dr. He/she can help.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've battled with depression and anxiety for years. I've tried medication in the past but did not give them a real chance because I would drink while taking them.

Now that I am sober I have been going to counseling and that has really been helping me. I am not on any medications. So far counseling, exercising more and eating better has been helping me. Honestly I still have some bad depression or anxiety days but I now have the tools I've learned from counseling to help me get through those days rather than picking up a drink or allowing myself to sit in self pity. I feel that everyone is different, you just have to try different things that work best for you.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To what extent are you willing to experiment to try to combat depression naturally?

The reason I ask is because people have been finding out that a lot of chronic problems - depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, ADHD, and fibromyalgia to name a few - are, at least in some cases, linked to food allergies. If you're serious about trying to find a natural approach, you might try cutting out gluten and dairy out of your diet for a couple of weeks. Eat as much natural food as you can find - fruits and vegetables, mostly - and see if that has an effect. I say "serious" because you have to be dedicated to give this a shot, as sticking to this sort of diet can be difficult.

I should note that I'm not a "health nut" - I'm recommending these things because I myself had some chronic issues and found out that food allergies were the problem. This was after doctors and allergists themselves didn't recognize that it was allergies that were causing my issues. Only by cutting out certain foods for a few weeks was I myself able to feel the difference it made.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
p***enger

My recommendation is that if you do choose to seek medical help, it would be helpful if you can to shop around with a few mental health providers. Different people have different specializations, approaches, and personalities.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I kind of wonder if I am not actually a guy who has struggled unknowingly with a certain constant depression and maybe that's part of what drove me to use substances the way I have.

Because without the substances - though I actively stay positive and invest a lot of energy in positive thinking - I am also carrying around a lot of GLUM a lot of the time. Maybe that's not depression. Maybe it is. I don't really know anymore.

But I DO know that when I'm running regularly - I feel a lot better. Endorphins. The natural anti-depressant of intense activity in the outdoors is really powerful.

I've read about and known people who have told their stories of 'treating' depression through nature and exercise....

worth a try?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

{Disclaimer}

I am not a mental health professional and my view is that they are the ones best qualified in this area. The above comments are meant to be a "tool" in the arsenal of treatment.

Having been married to a woman for several years with diagnosed depression, anxiety and stress disorders - it is my personal experience that trying to "self-treat" can have disastrous results.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Interesting that a couple weeks into my 'sobriety' a Dr put me on zoloft. I still wasn't over alcohol and then something else was put into me. After a month+ I requested a doc to help me get off it. I discussed this with my mental health adviser - we came to the same conclusion. I needed to 'reset' and find out if I really needed the meds once my body and brain adjusted to not having alcohol in it for forever. So far I have been up and down with desire to function. But I found lately my attitude was helping me move forward. I no longer sit on the couch downing chocolate like I did a few weeks back. I am seeing improvements to my attitude toward life. So perhaps, I maybe didn't need the meds. We'll see in another month or two.

My situation may be different, but so far I am doing okay and improving every day.

If I find myself starting to crawl under a rock again and losing any sense of self, I will go the doc for help. I know I should seek counseling soon. But I am doing things that are of great benefit. One of those things is this forum. It is helping me immensely.

Plus, I am very fortunate to have the most understanding and supportive spouse in the world.