Notices

55 days

Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hope for change

55 days

With the warm weather coming the mind starts to wander about summer cocktails and ice cold beer. I thought the longer u go the easier it is. But I'm starting to think its harder because u forget how bad things really were, easy to test the waters again and see if this time will be different. I know what the answer is, but still crosses my mind.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job on 55 days. You are doing great!!! I love iced tea, and flavored waters. You can still put them in a pretty glass. We do tend to glamorize the drink, don't we. There is nothing wrong with it crossing your mind, and good job in thinking it through!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Itsmytime1234 View Post
With the warm weather coming the mind starts to wander about summer cocktails and ice cold beer. I thought the longer u go the easier it is. But I'm starting to think its harder because u forget how bad things really were, easy to test the waters again and see if this time will be different. I know what the answer is, but still crosses my mind.

It's only natural for the mind to go back to last summer when you were allowing yourself to drink ice cold beers etc. but remember it's only early days and as fantastic an achievement as 55 days is, the mind and body Are still adjusting. cold anything is fantastic on a warm day, nothing beats a strawberry milkshake for me these days.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You and me both on the summer drinks. :-)
BUT if you search around on the internet you will find that the whole foods movement has tons of ideas for water with sliced herbs, vegetables, lemons, etc. this is something I am going to explore!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 55 days. I understand completely. Today, or over the next few days, you may want to take some time and write down all the consequences that resulted from drinking. Along with that, write down all the benefits of not drinking. Our memories can be very selective. We remember the good times that came from our drinking and forget all the bad times. Forcing ourselves to remember the bad times can help keep you focused on staying sober.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi itsmytime - congrats on 55 days

I think as you approach 60, 90 days things can get dangerous if you let your self get complacent.

It's long enough to forget the bad stuff and not quite long enough to see the real benefits of sobriety yet...

With the warm weather coming the mind starts to wander about summer cocktails and ice cold beer.

^ Thats the fantasy.

Try and remember the reality of where those summer cocktails and ice cold beers led you last summer, and the one before, and the one before that....

This summer - make a stand for change. Make a stand for yourself Itsmytime

D
Old 04-05-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

IMO, the summer thing is just your AV talking. Dee's right, that is just the fantasy.

Play the tape in your mind....all the way to the end of the story. Walk yourself mentally through what really happens when alcoholics drink and play that tape through the afternoon and all the way to the next morning hangover.

Congrats on 55 days! I have found that about every 60 days I stumble because I get too complacent. Don't take the AV's bait!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Itsmytime1234, 55 days is FANTASTIC, congratulations. I think it was about a year for me when I started to become comfortable with being sober, and now I hardly have any cravings at all. Every day you don't drink you become that much more powerful over it, rootin for ya.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats, itsmytime! I'm on day 55, too! My warm weather drink so far is lemon and/or lime seltzer with a big splash of cranberry and a small splash of lime. I'll probably add some fresh fruits as it gets warmer. I have thoughts now where I think I can handle drinking again - testing the waters, as you say. But I know from all the reading I've done here that it's normal, but not realistic thinking. Let's stay on the same count together. I know how much I'd hate starting at day 1 again!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Massive thanks and congrats xxxx