Notices

Tips for an "active" sobriety?

Old 04-04-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Tips for an "active" sobriety?

So far what i have:

1. Regular exercise, I take a brisk power-walk about 3 miles every other day.

2. I am making it a point to try to squeeze in 2 books a month, to keep my mind sharp. Currently on my first book for April.

3. Im trying to clean up my diet, but it's easier said than done because im no cook. Been trying to eat more greens.

4. I maintain a daily to-do list of minor tasks for each day, some of it is busy-work that doesnt really matter....... i keep it on the list anyway just to keep me busy.

5. I am drinking plenty of coffee to keep my mind satisfied with "something".

6. Somewhat un-related, but i am trying to cut down on my bills. I am doing whatever i can to "simplify" my life......... cancelled my cable TV and landline phone last month (kept the hi speed internet), also cancelled another subscription service which i barely used that was costing me like $50 a month.

7. Of course, i have discarded any and all products that have or potentially have alcohol in them to prevent ANY chance of me getting my hands on them....... the half-used whiskey bottle that was in the very back of the fridge, the nyquil bottle, the alcohol hand sanitizer, the alcohol eye glass wipes, the mouthwash bottle i had in the cupboard.......... ALL of them either went down the kitchen sink drain or in the trash

Any other tips i missed or opinions for an "active" sobriety?

What kinds of things are you doing to stay "active"?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

cut back on the coffee?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have a good plan, balancing all areas of your life.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

How about something that involves people. Isolation is alcohols best friend
Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery
How about something that involves people. Isolation is alcohols best friend
That is very true, i am a very lonely person since about high school. Its just easier said than done to have people in your life, once you hit adulthood everyone is too busy chasing money or dealing with "life".

That is a good idea though, just hard to do nowadays when everyone is behind a smartphone......
Old 04-04-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Volunteer for anything that doesn't involve alcohol. Personally I love AA because it is an instant social network of sober friends
Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
That is very true, i am a very lonely person since about high school. Its just easier said than done to have people in your life, once you hit adulthood everyone is too busy chasing money or dealing with "life".

That is a good idea though, just hard to do nowadays when everyone is behind a smartphone......
AA meetings are great places to meet people who are sober and most of them don't play with their phones during the meeting.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Meditation. It worked for me better than any medicine.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I'll go
  • AA meetings - one a day on average but sometimes two
  • Lifting weights at the gym (starting this week after doc appt for my back if I get the go ahead)
  • Rollerskating with my kids
  • Walking at the park with kids and dogs
  • Getting involved with a new car club - my hobby is muscle cars - modding them and attending car shows. They have picnics and meet and greets and stuff too.
  • Modding out my car
  • Staying involved with my friends from IOP
  • SR =)
  • Work
Old 04-04-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

All that stuff is good Grubby but I think a good recovery plan really needs to focus on the mechanics of recovery in some way too - finding the right support and learning how to use it is important.

Being mentally prepared for situations is important....what to do if you find yourself with drinkers...how to say no to a drink...what to do when you crave drink...things like that.

D
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ditto meditation and ditto volunteering and ditto meetings of some sort so that you can have relationships with people who know what you are going through and who support you.

I would warn you to try to not change too many things at once, because that is when people get discouraged and say "eff it" and give up. If you're already doing a lot of those things, then great. But if not, don't try to do all of them - just pick one and try that (walking or reading or trying new recipes or whatever) for a week or two. Then add something else in.

Wishing you strength and success!