Notices

Smoking

Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Smoking

Does anyone have a suggestion on whether to try to quit smoking in early early recovery from alcohol? I hate the cigarettes but smoke more now that I removed the alcohol. Any experience on this is appreciated..
Old 04-04-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi elt - there was another thread on this today, so I'll tell you what I told them

I quit both at once, and that worked for me. Others find they're better off tackling one problem at a time.

If you find you're smoking more why not investigate some of things available to help - your Dr can help you with nicotine patches, nicotine gum, e cigs, and the various medications available

Quit.com | Get Help to Quit Smoking & Stop Smoking for Good

We also have a dedicated forum here for smokers - take a look

Nicotine/Smoking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
D
Old 04-04-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in the exact same boat! But the way I see it, about to go for it in a few days, if I find it too hard I prefer smoking again than putting my sobriety in jeopardy. I know myself, I'll end up picking up both habits back if I am 2 stressed.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quit smoking a month before I quit alcohol so I might not be much help however what I did was buy the fake E-cigarettes and smoked them. They made getting off cigarettes so much easier if you want to quit. Some of them have nicotine in them which I would recommend at first and then you can cut down on nicotine and by the end it makes it an easier transition. This doesn't always work for some people but I know that it worked for me and my husband. Also, I liked to smoke with coffee and diet coke. I cut both out of my life. They were triggers for me too. Now that I drink soda water with lemon there are less associations with smoking. I must admit that every once and I while I will pass a person smoking and I love the smell of it. ahhhh but however I know that every time I lit up I would beat myself up for it and wonder why I was even doing it to begin with. Good luck. Also another suggestion look up all that you can on quitting smoking. I youtubed a lot of videos of everyday people who talked about how they quit. And I read THE EASYWAY TO QUIT SMOKING by Allen Carr. A LOT of people I know quit reading his book.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Elt, congrats on your decision to quit smoking too.

Interesting to see this thread as I quit alcohol over three years ago and almost 3 weeks to the minute I have finally quit smoking. For me tackling one addiction at a time worked best.

Not to take away from Cuspers advice but the e-cigs I found to be just as addictive as regular cigarettes. I didn't want to replace one addiction with another so I dropped the ecig pretty quickly.

I say go for it as long as you are committed on the Alcohol sobriety. If you are struggling at all with sobriety I would fear this added stress could cause a relapse. That's why I waited, it really took all my strength to stay sober.

Good luck !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I quit drinking first, and about a year and a half later quit smoking. I also used the e cigs and found it way easier than I thought I would. Quitting drinking was much harder overall. I didn't find the e cigs addictive, more like a crutch to have in my pocket in case a craving hit. I also had the fear of God put in me by my dentist which started the whole thing.

Good for you for considering the move!

Now I have to quit sugar
Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elt007 View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion on whether to try to quit smoking in early early recovery from alcohol? I hate the cigarettes but smoke more now that I removed the alcohol. Any experience on this is appreciated..
Its very common to smoke more when you quit drinking. Try using those new e-cigarettes, eating sugar candy helps. You could try the patch and nicotine gum.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

I just posted the same question today in my thread about giving up weed. I've been straight and sober for about a month and want to quit cigs. I am scared it would trigger my stress and send me back to the weed. It's great to hear all your experiences and I will think on them for a while.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

It's also cool to hear people conquering one addiction and then moving on to the rest. Shows a real determination to improve health and happiness. Yay!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try an e-cig. I was a pack a day smoker. If you get a decent one they provide the same sensations of smoking "throat hit" etc. I'm in love with mine.

PM me If you want some more details. I'd be happy to guide you to different products and sites :-)
Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm in the same spot. I tackling the drinking first, I'm on day 75 maybe I'll try to put the cigs down on day 100. Good luck to you
Old 04-05-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Elt like Dee I quit the cigarettes when I quit alcohol, that worked for me because I'd been reducing the smoking and only smoked when I drank, once I stopped drinking it was automatic even after 40 years.

You need to decide what is best for you but yes, it can be done, though I'd suggest putting sobriety first for the moment. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I quit both at the same time. I had to because the two were so entwinded for me. I HAD to have a cigarette if I had a drink. So that lasted about a month. I started drinking again, but the cigarette association and craving were beat. While I still struggle with drinking, that one combined quit I am smoke free now 8 years.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I, too, quit both at once. I only really smoked when I drank anyway. And my whole premise for quitting drinking was my health and that I wanted desperately to feel better.

Cigs always made me nauseous and dizzy anyway. For me, It defeated the purpose of all the effort I was putting forth.