Notices

Sober... but struggling!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober... but struggling!

I have been doing so well, and it will be three months of sobriety after tomorrow, but why am I suddenly craving alcohol?
Over the last few days I am fantasizing about having a glass of wine, but I know that it wont be "just" a glass...... it would be a bottle or two and that will start the whole maddness.
This is the first time in ten years that I have been sober this long, but it seems to be getting harder these days.........

Wondering if others have struggled with this milestone?
Old 04-03-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was right around the thanksgiving/Christmas holidays when I was at 90 days and yes there were days I thought how nice a "glass" of beer would taste. Good that you thought it through and realized it wouldn't just be one glass. Just keep visualizing the end result of drinking and let the cravings pass. They will get less and less in the upcoming weeks and months.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's fairly common to struggle at 90 days.

I think it's far enough away from day one for us to forget the bad stuff and not quite long enough for all the benefits of sobriety to be apparent.

Stay strong - strengthen your recovery plan if you think you need to

D
Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

8 weeks here, and cravings are a bit less intense. Wouldn't be surprised if they came back worse than ever in a month. Hang tough.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Others have not....all of us have. One thing I have learned: nobody is unique here.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A little bit of my drinking history...I've been sober for 2-3 weeks at a time (not even trying) for about the last year. Moderately drinking...Hardly ever the "Dr's OK" of 1 unit of alcohol for a woman, but it wasn't a regular enough thing to be an obvious problem. The year before that things got OUT OF CONTROL....this last year I've been dabbling with the idea of calling it a "problem" (It's hard to admit) but I'd been doing so "well" with it blah blah blah There was always a random black out drunk or WAY TOO drunk (even if it wasn't black out) that would happen and cause problems....relationships... personal guilt for "whatever happened" the night before....just wasting time....Sorry for ranting, but just explaining where I'm coming from.
I just had a horrible night this past weekend that I'm STILL working on forgiving myself for...mistakes were made and it was because I drank too much...way too much.
I got sober April 1....
Right now I'm not craving alcohol at all because (I wasn't a daily drinker for this whole past year)... and the bad memories are so close.
I fear what you're going through right now... that I'll forget and want that "glass" of wine sooooo bad one day that I'll just reward myself and have it....but really I don't want a glass of wine AT ALL...I wan't the whole damn bottle and then a couple shots lol
REMEMBER how BAD alcohol made you feel...I'm here to remind you....
IT'S NEVER ONE, IT'S NEVER "JUST" ANYTHING, IT ALWAYS ENDS BADLY....ALWAYS!
STAY STRONG and give yourself a reason to be as fresh as you can be in the morning.
Take a killer work out class at 8am or go hiking....yoga? ANYTHING! Make a date with a friend right after dawn to go jogging in a beautiful place...or just get up early and enjoy that mystical time in the morning when the earth is just waking up and CELEBRATE that you are SOBER and as fresh as you deserve to be
I hope this helps!
XOXO
Old 04-03-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rove, I experienced something like that too. And, I think it was my AV giving one last big push. I found that as I became more confident in recovery, my AV let me know several times, that it was not pleased.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice, it means the world to me.....I read what you all posted, then I went for a walk and listened to music, and the brisk cool air helped to change my perspective and escape the AV.
I reminded myself of how tired, guilty and drained I felt when I was drinking on a daily basis and that really helped.
One day at a time........
Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done, rove, well done.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got to 100 days two years ago. I got an inflated sense of confidence and thought "I must not really have a problem." At a celebration, I had a glass of wine. Then another. That was about two years ago. I've strung a few weeks together here and there since but half-heartedly. Again, I got to point and thought "see, I can stop. I'm not addicted." And I'd drink again. Now I'm on day 9.

I'm impressed with 90 days. I'm envious and can't wait to get there again. Very good work. Admirable.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 11 for me and I can relate to be a once in a while drinker myself and I hit a major craving yesterday ... The previous posts from all of you really help to remind me that we are fighting a serious disease and am so thankful for amazing people, vulnerability of everyone so that we all can gain a new perspective and re energize with hope and love that we are not alone and give us encouragement that we can get through another 24!!! Thanks and please keep posting .. It totally helps!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on posting here and going for a walk. We can't control what our mind tells us at times, but we can control what we do about it. One day at a time. You got this.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job on the walk! Fresh air is under appreciated. Change in perspective is key...