Courage To Change 04/03/14

Old 04-03-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 04/03/14

I used to love the stillness of early morning, but over years of living with an alcoholic, I stopped noticing it. Instead, I woke up the same way I went to sleep—frantic. Before I was out of bed I already had a long list of
crises that needed my attention. So no matter how early I got up, I was already late. Sometimes I was so overwhelmed,
I couldn’t get up at all. My life has changed. I heard someone in Al-Anon say that when they open their eyes in the morning, they also open their ears. Now as I awaken, I listen for the birds. I choose not to review my plans for the day until I’ve had my breakfast. I prefer to take time to appreciate my favorite part of the day.
Al-Anon is helping me to clear my mind of my burdens so that I am able to enjoy the wonder of the moment. I am beginning to enjoy a childlike awe about the splendor of nature, to see the beauty all around me,
to let my face break into a smile spontaneously, to laugh,
to love, to live again. Today I can say, “Good morning, God,” instead of “Good God, it’s morning.”

Today’s Reminder

Today I’ll be keenly aware of my senses. I will think about what I am experiencing at this moment. I won’t let the beauty of this day slip by unnoticed.

“Real generosity toward the future consists in giving all to what is present.”

Albert Camus
Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting and timely for me..my chat with my therapist this morning was living in the moment of here and now and not looking ahead to what if's or behind at what the could of's and would's should have been.
Thanks for posting this!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Timely for me too, Carlotta! I was just thinking today that my little guy and I have 8 hours in the car together tomorrow, and that it will be infinitely more enjoyable for BOTH of us if we can enjoy that time together and take in our surroundings and our adventure.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful post Carlotta.