Notices

New

Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

Hey all. Today is my first day of quitting pain killers. I am not as scared as some about withdrawals but I imagine that going from 100 +mgs of opiates a day down to 0 (yes, cold turkey) is going to have some effect on my system. I quit cigarettes cold turkey about 4 years ago and I have never looked back from that, so I am hoping that through sheer will power I can get past all this. I am married, 3 kids, successful at my career, and I do not want to be hooked on this crap anymore. No one but me knows about the amount of p.k.s I take. I have done fairly well in hiding it. Almost got caught a few times, but successfully lied my way out of it. I am tired of the struggle. I will keep you all posted on how things go.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxx
Old 04-03-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mjasong1,
I'm getting off painkillers too, though I was too much of a wimp to do it cold turkey. I weaned myself over about 3 weeks, and this is my second day without. Even doing it the way I did, I had to deal with withdrawal symptoms, and found the supplements of the Thomas recipe to be really helpful, along with lots of hot baths, a homeopathic restless leg remedy, and tons of water.
I've been a secret addict too, though I have 2 friends I've talked to about it. One thing I did that I think really helped me was to ask one of those friends if I could report to her daily about my intake, creating that kind of accountability for myself helped keep me on track. If there isn't a friend you can do that with, you can always do it on here. I've just been participating on this site for a few days, and have found an incredible level of help and support here.
You can do this, you are SO worth it.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi mjasong1, welcome to SR.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,mjasong1.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome mjasong1.
Cold turkey is tough. But as long as you have someone around who can support you, it is the way to go as long as you stick to it. ITS IMPORTANT TO HAVE SOMEONE. Tapering off is dangerous only because it is not the same as quitting. You may likely just go back to where you started - it takes far more will power than cold turkey. It's gonna be rough for sure. Hang in there! And never look back! Cranberry juice diluted with water. Drink lots of water. Even if you can't keep it down. Drink water! I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR A TRAINED CLINICIAN.
But I've been around.

Once you're clean - or over the dts - it takes a period to completely cleanse your body. Start going to meetings and find continuing support. You're gonna need it.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR mjasong1

D
Old 04-03-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us mjasong1. You found a helpful & friendly place.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mjasong1 - Welcome.

I think it is a safe assumption that going from +100 mg to 0 mg will have some effect on you. It is great that you aren't afraid though, because fear of withdrawal can make it unbearable. Also, congrats on kicking the cigarettes. It is going to take a lot of willpower to get through it, but where there is a will there is a way.

Please keep us posted on your progress.