Notices

A return to normalcy...........

Old 04-02-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up A return to normalcy...........

Day 44.

I have good news to report!

On March 31 i thought i would try something new and try to start off April WITHOUT any sleep aids or drugs, not even basic Chamomile tea. On monday afternoon, March 31 i was sitting at my desk thinking back on my progress and i thought to myself:

"ya know what? i dont want to deal with ANY drugs anymore....... i want my old self back, i want to go to sleep at a certain time.... and wake up at a certain time, MINUS any or all drugs, n o m o r e d r u g s"

Decided to go to sleep on Monday without ANYthing, no herbal tea, no sleep aid pills, zilch, nada.

I got into bed around 10:40 PM....... i struggled for a little bit, i remember i was still laying in bed with no results at 11:50-ish. I tossed and turned for a little longer and finally the last thing i remember was seeing 12:27 AM on the clock. I blacked out around that time and that's how i know........ next thing i know i wake up and look over at the clock, it's 5:48 AM!!

This was with no drugs or herbal sleep tea! A first for me in a looooooooooooong time, the first few weeks were a real BATTLE on the insomnia front.

Yesterday I got into bed at around 9:30 PM, tossed and turned for a bit and then i remember the last thing i saw was 12:12 AM on the clock...... so i probably blacked out shortly thereafter. Next thing i see is........ 6:17 AM on the clock! A second night of sleep with no herbal tea or sleeping pill.

Things are looking up on the sleep side of things, i hope even more signs of "normalcy" start to show with each passing day

It's not the 8 or 9 hours i would like to be getting, but it's MUCH better than the 0 to 3 hours i was sporadically getting the first two weeks or so

To the new people, just hold on....... it DOES get better. Don't give in! Don't cave!

JUST HANG ON!!

That's about all i can tell you, quite simply....... it's just going to take T.i.m.e for the body/brain to calm down, so just take it easy and don't freak out the first few weeks....... just remember that the symptoms will simply have to run their course, be strong!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're sleeping better grubby

D
Old 04-02-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Grubby

Sounds good ! Not only your sleeping but you seem to have a great mental attitude. Keep going !!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Great post Grubby! Trying to shut down an active brain in order to sleep can be a real challenge but it sounds like you are doing it pretty well.

I removed the clock from next to my bed because I read that if you find yourself constantly checking the time, it can actually cause stress that will keep you awake. In my case it really worked! I just keep a small clock in my bathroom instead.

Another thing I do to help me calm down and sleep is go to some of my favorite places, mentally, and relive my experiences. I go to my favorite area in the high Sierra's and retrace the steps of my favorite hike to the top of a 10000 ft peak.

EXCELLENT job on 44 days!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great stuff!

Same as hope4life. I totally stress out when I look at the clock!

I play the Nature sounds station, not the one with the lions eating baby rabbits! The one with the sound of water flowing. I pee my bed once in a while but sleep like a baby. LOL!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know I was very relieved when I started getting good sleep again. Sleep is so important, and when I was drinking I wasn't really sleeping, but was just passed out.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome! I haven't been sleeping very well lately, so this is just the kind of thing that I needed to read today!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AWESOME!!!! "This too shall pass" was something I use quite a bit. I recently read an article about urge surfing another person on SR sent me. It really helped me understand how to handle the "urges" I kept feeling. Recently it just feels like anxiety but instead of fighting the feelings I just hang in there and shortly after I feel back to myself again. It's crazy how health conscious I've been since I stopped drinking but I think that's true for a lot of us as a part of healing. We just think enough is enough and it's time to start taking care of our bodies. I'm glad you're doing well.... Hang in there. We've all got to be there for each other so we can get better together.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome attitude, I'd be whining if I only got 5 hours sleep lol!!

Good 4 u!