Hello, I'm new here

Old 04-02-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm new here

Hello, My name is Dan. About a month ago I got my husband to go see a couples counselor with me. Life was pretty bad between us and not a day went by without some type of argument or verbal abuse. The counselor suggested AA for Larry and he has been going to a meeting once or twice a day for the past week. Al-Anon was strongly suggested for me also. After a web search I found this forum as well as MODAT. Gosh, this is all so overwhelming.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dano, welcome to SR.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Were all friends here Dano, you can say what you want, there are lots of people with similar problems.

Take care xxxx
Old 04-02-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dan,

It is overwhelming. I know I resisted the thought of Al-Anon for a long time. Part of it was I was angry because I felt like I wasn't the one with the problem, so why should I "go get help"? But part of it was also that... I felt like if I walked through those doors, I would have to admit that my husband was an alcoholic. And I thought if I admitted that, I couldn't un-admit it and continue shoving the problem under the carpet. I was afraid that I would have to take some kind of action.

Addiction is hell. For the addict and the people who love the addict. You're in a good place here -- lots of experience, lots of compassion, lots of (sometimes uncomfortable) truths. I'm glad you found us!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello, And Thank You everyone. I have known Larry was an alcoholic since we met. For some reason I believed and actually still believe that all will somehow be better. To me, right now, better means a day without yelling.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dano,

Know you are safe here, and you found friends that you can talk to and lean on. I do know about how it is nice to hope to have a day without yelling
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Larry is off to his second meeting for the day. We can't argue if he is out at a meeting.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Meetings are good. Sometimes I found I was stuck in my own thinking, but when I heard my own thoughts come out of someone else's mouth in a meeting, I could spot how absurd they sounded.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lillamy, Right now I'm just enjoying the peace. It's so quiet when he is off at a meeting.