Notices

I know what I have to do... I have to do it

Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know what I have to do... I have to do it

I have still been drinking. I think the reason (aside from the obvious) is that I have yet to take additional steps toward sobriety. I am planning to go to an AA meeting tonight and again tomorrow. I don't know why I feel that committing myself to AA is going to be what works for me. I've read a lot of comments about the religious aspect of AA but that doesn't bother me.

I know I have to get into AA, get a sponsor, work the steps and find my way. Am I placing too much emphasis on AA?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SpringWater View Post
Am I placing too much emphasis on AA?
If it keeps you sober, no.

But since you haven't even been to a meeting yet, you might be putting the cart before the horse. Go with an open mind, see how the program has worked for others, and apply the program yourself.

Put as much emphasis on your recovery (AA or whatever) as you did on drinking and you'll do fine.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can see this is going to take a huge willingness to change on my part. It has been very enlightening reading the posts on SR. Based on observation it sounds like the people who have been most successful are the ones who really stay on top of this demon and keep fighting the good fight. Then again, there is a lot of talk about acceptance too.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Everytime I quit drinking I would spend a lot of time sitting around thinking about not drinking.

I started living sober once. It's been a lot easier than not drinking.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes both Carl and Nonsensical make good points - "working" a program of recovery is different than "not" drinking. It's like when someone warns you to "don't trip" - somehow your brain just hears "trip" and you do. Saying to an alcoholic "don't drink" doesn't really work well in my experience because you're trying NOT to do something, whereas living in recovery is positive, forward progress in which you try to do things that improve your sense of self-esteem, restore your connections with humanity, and possibly open up new channels with the world you never knew were out there. Before long you realize wow, life is easier without the hangovers and fights and health problems, and while I occasionally get the urge, I really don't want to drink - and that is an amazing day.

But, it takes time - months, days or years - it varies... so like Carl said just keep an open mind and see what you can take from the meeting that helps you stay sober today. It doesn't have to be an earth-shattering experience. Sometimes just one person saying one thing can keep you sober that day.

You're headed in the right direction - keep at it!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nothing to add except, if you don't try something you'll never really know if it works.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll never know what works until you give it a go SpringWater

Let us know how you get on

D
Old 04-02-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you! Your plan involves becoming a recovered alcoholic straight away rather than keep on the merry go round for a few more years.

I went to AA, got a sponsor, worked the steps and recovered. I have never had an obsessive thought about alcohol in 5 years and do not avoid places that offer it. Freeeeeee!

If you would like this for the rest of your life stick to your plan and don't be put off by people in or out if AA. Good luck, go for it!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't fight. Surrender. We surrender to win. This is one of AA's paradoxes:

Paradoxes