Notices

New member/Want my life back

Old 04-01-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New member/Want my life back

Hello everyone. I am addicted to vicodin, have been so since 2008 as a result of a legitimate injury. I realized how much of my life this drug has taken from me about two years ago and though I have managed to quit cold turkey twice, I failed and went back to old ways.
I want to be the person I used to be. I don't want to dread awakening every single morning. I am sick of all of it ... but it holds me hostage, dosing every day just so I can feel normal. Hoping to find direction, advice and the strength to leave this evil behind me.

I am retired and have all of every day to myself. These days should be filled with freedom and carefree thoughts .... but they are far from it. I want to live again.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Snap! You will find a lot of great support here. Have you talked to your doctor about quitting?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome SnapOutOfIt

Not sure if you still have pain issues or not, but if you do, it's probably best to involve your Dr, or a new one, if you haven't already

You'll find a ton of support here too - read around and post as much as you like

Check out our Class of April support thread too:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2014-a-2.html
D
Old 04-01-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcomes !

Yes, my CRPS pretty much is a full time struggle to maintain pain levels at a tolerable level.
As to involving my doctor, it's part of my fear of permanently separating myself from the drug .. I know that if I go to him, yes he will help, but the rehab better be successful because Rx will no longer be available once he is aware. He has counseled me from the beginning because typically vicodin is not administered long term.
I know how lame this sounds, but I am afraid of what I will be driven to if I cannot get the drug legally anymore.
My sincerity might get flamed here for what I just said ---- I am sincere, truly .. but I don't want to relapse and end up on heroin because that's all I can get my hands on.

Edit to Add ~ I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section ? Should I repost in a more appropriate (opiates addiction) section ?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Snap! I'm glad you found us. It's fine to post here in the Newcomer's section to introduce yourself. (In the Drug Addiction forum there may be more people who have experience with Vicodin.)

It helped me so much to know I wasn't alone anymore. Everyone understood how I felt & I could be honest about my feelings here. It really lessened my anxiety and gave me courage. I hope you feel the same.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn. I need to get the courage to do this. It's hard to stay positive with as many people that relapse. And both times that I quit, once for two weeks the other was over a month -- as hard as it was, as much as it hurt, I still weakened and let myself fail.
I am hoping between will power and support I can do it for good.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SnapOutofIt - Welcome. If you want to post on the Substance Abuse Forum you may get more specific feedback regarding Vicodin. There are actually quite a few newcomers that are coming off of Vicodin or recently came off of it. If you were able to make it two weeks / one month going cold turkey you can absolutely do this. Getting through the withdrawal is just the first, albeit very difficult, step though.

You are right to fear heroin, but there are alternatives to narcotics for pain that you can discuss with your doctor. You don't necessarily have to confess everything, but you can tell him/her that you are just looking to change things up. Constipation is a good excuse to ask to get off of narcotics. You shouldn't feel bad about wanting to have your pain treated. Untreated pain is terrible in its own right, and I think you should focus a lot of your effort on finding a non-narcotic solution to it if you want off the pills.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxx