Notices

My Binge drinking quest

Old 04-01-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Binge drinking quest

Here's a background about me: I come from England but grew up in the states my half my life, Alcohol has always been a way of celebration for my family and i've been drinking since an early age. My mentality is usually well you work hard so you should drink and enjoy you self. Fast forward, I am now 27 with a successful job, one 3 year old and another girl on the way. I've been with the same girl for 6 years but we are not married and...well that gets complicated at times.

Long story short I have been binge drinking since I was in highschool, work events turn into full blown benders, cannot for the life of me even have "just one", my drinking is a big issue, making me late for work, effecting relationships and overall, the worst, gives me anxiety/guilt attacks because this cycle is constant and has been for years. Sure, I don't have to drink every night but when I am geared up to drink, it is black out status.

I think for me there will never be a good balance for alcohol, so I have given my self a goal of going 30 days sober starting today because it seems like, maybe I could do it and then keeping going from there. I've tried before but the longest i've probably gone with out a drink in the last 10 years is 2 weeks. Me writing this is an attempt for support and step in the direction for my mind to believe...I have a problem with this
Old 04-01-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This IS a great site, filled with smart, funny people who have a lot to offer.

What strikes me about your post, is that you have laid everything out clearly, and have no illusions about all of the problems alcohol is causing in your life, plus you have three very wonderful reasons (gf, two babies) reasons to address & kick this bad habit, (whatever you want to call it)! And... you are so young!

I have been inspired by people here who have gone 10-20 years without, then thought they could be "normal" drinkers (and turned out to never be correct). I do believe, like many here, there is something in the body chemistry of people who can't stop at one or two. Then it is all downhill.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi LumberjackJim, welcome to SR.
Good luck with the 30 days.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

I could never moderate either, 1 glass led to the bottle, you'll find loads of support and advice, great to have you onboard!!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck on your 30 days quest. May I be so bold as to suggest that you spend it learning how to be happy sober and not spend it all planning day 31.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Lumberjack. I have found SR to be a great place to gain insight and support for my sobriety. I too come from a family that celebrates freely with alcohol and i did so for many years. It's tough at first but I think you'll find that even after 30 days things really to get better. Good luck and read lots.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

My off switch came out the factory faulty, I worked it until it was completely unreliable- the impact on me personally started to mount and I was tormented holding on the mirage of being able to get it "just right"

Living sober is so much easier
Old 04-01-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I was a binge drinker as well; one was too many and one thousand wasn't enough. I had to learn it was the first drink that would get me in trouble. It didn't matter how long a took a break from alcohol, once I started it would lead to later pain. At times I could control it, but that was not the norm.
The solution for me was to not pick up the first drink. This site helps and there are support groups that can help a lot. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"one was too many and one thousand wasn't enough"....this is sooo true and extremely well put! Thanks all for your kind words and support...if you have anymore advice, please share it! I think another huge factor for me is pressure from others, I'm not week minded however, maybe I'm greedy...don't want the fun to end? So I end up coming home, after working, not seeing my family and "going over to a friends house to help him move a fridge" OR "Going to the gym"...those lies aren't me but I go to SOOO much lengths to make them real for the sake of drinking....I don't understand?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, and good luck with the 30 days Lumberjack. From what you've written, I'd say it's probably time to seriously consider stopping for good. If you end up deciding that's your goal, you've found a great place to achieve that goal.

But 30 days is a good start.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome you sound like me i'm at day 1 to
Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jim

D
Old 04-01-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

He's a lumberjack and he's okay...
Welcome! 30 is a good goal to start. I think you can do it. As for plans on day 31, I would up the ante. Set a new goal for 90.

But for now, stay focused on the present. Just do a day for thirty days in a row. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi. You sound like me except I've been bingeing for over 40 years. All the best to you. I'm on day 9. Kinda wishing I'd named myself Bingie.