Had no choice or did I

Old 04-01-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had no choice or did I

So got home from work yesterday and my basement has flooded with all the rain. My sump pump was seized so the water was rising and water heater was under water. I called everyone I could think of but no one was available so I broke down and called XABF. He came right over to pump basement and put a new pump in. We didn't talk much as I had to get to school so I thanked him and left. When I got home from school basement was dry new pump working and so far water heater is ok. Now why do I feel like a schmuck? I am kicking myself for having to count on him for anything and was up all night pissed with my decision. I can hear him in my head saying I'm such a good guy she called and I came running. Crap I should just put it out of my mind and move forward I did what I had to do. Thanks for listening
Old 04-01-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You did what you had to do in an emergency circumstance. Please don't beat yourself up over it. What he thinks or doesn't think about it or you is not relevant.

Now you know you don't want to have to count on him moving forward, so what can you do to be more independent in case something like this happens again?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

no judgment on your decision to call him....but calling a plumber would also be appropriate for a sump pump fail.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I work in insurance and water damage can get out of control and be a HUGE expense. You did the right thing. You know what, emergencies are called that for a reason. This won't happen every day. Be glad it is taken care of and move forward.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pia

Don't beat yourself up about it. My fence went down last year due to weather. I had no idea what to do. I don't exactly have men friends then so I called him he came running and took care of it. I looked at it as wow the fence looks good now if I have to move.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You could always send him a check for the work he performed.

maybe that would help ease your troubled mind.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Marie since he owes me thousands I don't think I will be sending him a check. I would have offered to pay him otherwise but thanks for responding.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmm, I guess the worry here is now XBF feels redeemed and back in your circle. Of coarse you will need to do some extra work to make it really clear where he stands in your life. He owes you, he's messed up and has no right to make a wake in your life. If he has an once of decency, he knows this. If he gets confused, straighten him out fast.

He owes you. You do not owe him. Problem solved. Doing some little decent thing in his life did not hurt him.

On the other hand, set up a rainy day fund and emergency number so you don't 'need' to use him again. It make you uncomfortable, therefore its not worth it.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pia

Originally Posted by LifeRoad View Post
Hmm, I guess the worry here is now XBF feels redeemed and back in your circle. Of coarse you will need to do some extra work to make it really clear where he stands in your life. He owes you, he's messed up and has no right to make a wake in your life. If he has an once of decency, he knows this. If he gets confused, straighten him out fast.

He owes you. You do not owe him. Problem solved. Doing some little decent thing in his life did not hurt him.

On the other hand, set up a rainy day fund and emergency number so you don't 'need' to use him again. It make you uncomfortable, therefore its not worth it.
That is great idea.. I'm going to set one up and list of numbers to contact.