Notices

how to get some more sober time?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question how to get some more sober time?

Hi,

I'm brand new. I was forced to come to terms with alcohol by my wife only a few weeks ago after drinking caused some psychiatric emergencies that almost necessitated police involvement. She told me if I didnt quit drinking she would leave. I have been a daily drinker for awhile, not massive amounts, usually between 32 and 64 oz of strong beer a day, but I'm finding I cant stop. I had 6 days and lapsed, 3 days and lapsed, 4 days and lapsed etc. I'm struggling wih headaches and diarrhea. At about 3 days my muscles hurt real bad. yesterday night and day I was seeing minor things outta the corners of my eyes. Like, I thought I saw someone run past my window (I'm on the 3rd floor) or I thought an outdoor fountain was spilling into the street. I know its not real and I dont feel freaked out I just feel strange. I've been going to at least 1 AA meeting a day for a week or so, I have a big book and a temporary sponsor. I'm really moved by some of the stuff thats going on in the rooms but it doesnt mean **** all if I cant get sober! I want my first 30 days, but I dont know how to get there!

Thoughts?

Best,
Oceans
Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Oceans

Seriously, if you're seeing things, probably seeing a Dr is not a bad idea - if only for peace of mind.

As for staying sober, the simplest thing to do is not drink. I know, it's simple, but not easy...plug yourself in here, keep going to AA and making contacts there (get phone numbers to call in times of trouble) and make whatever changes you need to make in your life to avoid temptation.

It's hard, but not impossible by any means - and don't forget...you're not alone

Glad to have you join us

D
Old 04-01-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe you should call your doctor and talk through what is going on. Alcohol detox and withdrawal is a very serious situation. I have found that merely wishing and hoping doesn't get me past 4 days, going to aa and taking suggestions and talking with people just like yourself gives you hope. Listening to others experience, and sharing with the group gives you strength to take this disease one day at a time. That's all you need to get through is one day at a time, one mahout or minute at a time if need be. SR is a great tool as well. Keep coming back and good luck!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome!!
I can relate to them illusions. I had em for a while when I stopped drinking. what kept me goin was knowing they weren't real. a man in AA suggested that if I still had them after a month to see a doctor, but they went away.
im glad yer goin to meetings, got a big book, and a sponsor. you may want to start readng the big book and following the suggestions,calling your sponsor even if its 3 a.m. , and keep goin to meetings. don't be afraid to mention what your dealing with at a meeting. if ya do it early in the meeting, you will prolly get some good responses from people that have had similar experiences.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I started withdrawals and they were beating me down, I just thought to myself that I DO NOT want to start this process over and every day I make it, I am ONE more day closer to feeling better!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would increase the AA meetings, especially if you want to drink in the evenings. Being around other sober people helped me in the first year to fill those evening hours when the cravings set in.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by oceansinside View Post
I had 6 days and lapsed, 3 days and lapsed, 4 days and lapsed etc.
Why do you think you drank again? What was it that made you abandon your commitment to sobriety?

I stay sober by not drinking alcohol. I live happily sober by doing things I enjoy. The more sober time I get, the better my life becomes, and the easier it is to remain happily sober.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by oceansinside View Post
I was forced to come to terms with alcohol by my wife only a few weeks ago...

Thoughts?
No one could force me to come to terms with alcohol...I had to come to terms with it myself. Maybe that's your problem. Your wife wants you sober more than you want you sober.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Oceans xxxx
Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, they are all good ones. I want to stay sober for me, it just took my wife confronting me with it to make me acknowledge it was a problem. I didnt think I drank that much etc. I think I am challenged right now by physical symptoms and I also think my problem is complicated by the fact that I have an eating disorder and I'm really anxious about food and only eat when I'm in a blackout or I drink alcohol when I'm hungry instead of eating. I'm in the process of treating both problems.
Anyway, thanks for your thoughts,

Oceans
Old 04-01-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

oceanside, ah, seeing the gremlins are we? it must be the same person who was sneaking past my back door every now and then. Sometimes I would actually get up and look around. Who was that? What was that?

Talk to a medical professional. Please. Thanks for checking in.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I will offer what worked for me. Don't take the first drink, no matter what. I know it sounds simple, but it worked for me. Everyday I pledge on the 24 hour club thread. I won't drink today. One day at a time, we can do this. Don't give up. We are all here for you.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Someone on here made the observation that it is easy to admit that you have a drinking problem but difficult to accept that you have a drinking problem. That was so true for me. I know that I am an alcoholic but didn't care and kept drinking. I would do the same thingy of are experiencing. A couple of days sober here and there but once I started feeling better I hit the bottle again until I accepted that I was an alcoholic and couldn't drink at all. I was a daily and very heavy drinker for twenty years pausing only when I was pregnant with my children.

Once I accepted that I couldn't drink I started to string together more and more days sober. It isn't easy in the beginning. My first go 'round I went to ninety AA meetings in ninety days after two weeks of inpatient rehab. It was a good start and I got ten and a half months sober time but I still hadn't accepted that I couldn't drink. This time around I just plain cannot do meetings everyday but make a commitment to three meetings a week, Monday, Friday and Sunday, and stick to going. I have accepted that I just can't drink like a normal person. It was all or nothing. I post here and read here even when I'm not posting. I text or call women from my AA groups when I need support or just to say hello. One day at a time is all I have and I stay with that. I have gotten four and a half months down this time. It just started all flowing one day into the next. I still have days where I have urges, more recently than when I first started but I reach out and voice my discomfort. It can be done but you have to accept it. Welcome to SR. It is a great place to be. Try upping your AA meetings. See if there are beginners meetings in your area. They aren't only attended by beginners and can give more practical suggestions.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've had the same problem seeing and hearing things that were not real. Usually took me 4 or 5 days for them to stop. I have actually gotten out of bed to check to see if my TV was off, because I could hear people talking or singing. Freaky stuff!! All I can tell you is that if you stick it out, they will go away. To me, seeing and hearing stuff is a sign of a serious problem. You might want to talk to your doctor about them. Good luck!