Notices

Already feel myself wavering

Old 03-31-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Already feel myself wavering

It's almost noon and my resolve is slipping again. This is what happens every day. I've got to take my kids to soccer training this evening but because it's been raining it might get called off and I am hoping it will be as I will then be able to drink. I know this sounds pathetic. Just being honest.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Try not to Focus on having a nice clear head in the morning xxxxx
Old 03-31-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's pretty normal really, Aus.

It's not easy to stop - if it was everyone would do it and there's be no need for SR.

I can tell you tho - if you don't stop now things will get worse, and you'll have to stop anyway - and it will be much harder then.

The earlier you can walk away form the drinking cycle, the less you'll lose of the things you hold dear.

D
Old 03-31-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can get sober with the support we offer here.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happens to me to. Feel so good in the beginning of the day. So sure I won't drink today and then here comes my AV telling me once again to go buy a bottle..
Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

been there so many times and 100% of the time I woke up with regrets. Take it one minute at a time if need be, and remember why you want to stop in the first place.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The slip=relapse happens well before the first drink my friend.
The slip=relapse happens when you are 100% sober.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you for coming here when you started to feel that way. Sobriety is not an event, it is a decision, just like the one you are making right now. And every time you make a decision that is different from a decision you have made in the past you are changing the script. "This is what happens every day" will become, "this is what happened the day I decided to that I didn't want to keep harming myself".
Old 03-31-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

The slip=relapse happens when you are 100% sober.
I don't know what this means.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's not pathetic it's alcoholism this is the alcoholic voice telling u to drink. It's crunch time and time to get strong , u can't give into the disease , this is what recovery is about getting throughout the cravings one by one and eventually it gets easier
Old 04-01-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Its normal to waver when alcohol has got a grip on your soul. It gets easier with time. Its what you do what counts not what you think or what it feels like.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopefulinAus View Post
It's almost noon and my resolve is slipping again. This is what happens every day. I've got to take my kids to soccer training this evening but because it's been raining it might get called off and I am hoping it will be as I will then be able to drink. I know this sounds pathetic. Just being honest.

It's important to be honest, but it's equally important to understand you don't need to act on every whim. Think of your kids- you don't cave in and give them everything they ask for, right? If they want to have ice cream for breakfast every day a parent has to do the grown up thing and tell them no. Well, your addictive voice is like that whiny little kid wanting a treat. But you know how that will end, don't you? Not well.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well I will give you an example of what it means. Lets say you go on a huge bender, you go for a week or a month or years or decades. Somehow get sober, whichever way it is it does not matter. So now lets say the person has had a few days off the sauce. He is sober, 100% sober. He is sitting in his living room, sober. He gets the recurring thought in his mind, hey maybe I can control it this time. Perhaps I can have fun this time, or I can drink normally, better yet I will have just 4 beers. Nothing bad will come of just taking a drink. Perhaps to relieve the stress. Whatever the lie is we tell ourselves to drink, we tell it to ourselves while we are 100% sober. However knowing what we know, from all the past expiriences of what happens when we took a drink, our brain fools ourselves, in that moment, to take a drink. That is the insanity of this disease. I know full well, I never have just 1,2,3 or 4 drinks. I know full well, I will probably black out, and most likely end up handcuffed, yet again.

I took the drink on a lie. The lie is, it will be different this time. And most times I took a drink on a lie while 100% sober. The relapse happens well before the 1st drink. And that is pure insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Hopeful

Try to be in the present, bit by bit. Dont focus forward, just focus on now. Think in small increments, take one hour (or smaller) at a time.