Notices

Day 7. Racing mind.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7. Racing mind.

Well back on day 7. Survived the first weekend, so that’s always good. My partner gets back into town tonight too… so there will be less temptation to drink/use when he is around the house.

I’m feeling better physically.

Mentally – I feel like there is 5 different radio stations playing in my head right now (all of them me – my voice) but all playing different stories. Like – there is so much noise in there, none of it particularly coherent, just a million jumbled streams of thought. Future conversations I might have during the day, re-living past events/conversations, mental arguing about what I should/shouldn’t be doing, beating myself up for stupid things I have said in the past, or might say in the future. Dear god - it just won’t shut up. I can’t even focus on one particular station because they’re all distracting me. I feel like a zombie just walking around with this blaring nonsense going crazy in my head.

Can anyone relate to this? Does anyone have a solution or something that might help quiet my mind?

I have picked up a bottle of wine numerous times just to shut off the noise in my head because I literally couldn’t take it anymore. I don’t want to do that right now, but I want to find something to help with that before it gets to that point.

Ugh.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
a bit out there

That would happen to me a few days into withdrawal. It was worse when I didn't sleep. It passed.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. That is called monkey mind. No kidding. It has kept me awake a few times. The only way I know to stop it is meditation. Try breathing in with the word in, and out with the word out till all you can hear is inand out. It really helps me fall asleep too. I hope this help. Prayer also helps me too. I sure hope you feel better soon. What ever you do, don't pick up the bottle. It won't help, only make you feel like a looser.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My mind starts racing when I get the urge to drink, my sensible voice trying to tell me not to drink, my alcohol hungry voice telling me to drink. I can sit frozen on the sofa with these two voices going on in my head, unable to think about anything else until my alcohol voice gives me reasons why it will be ok to drink and I feel helpless to not give in to it.

Its crazy, but that happens to me often.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's par for the course for a week into sobriety. This shall pass. The anxiety is your brain trying to adjust to having no alcohol. It will get better.