Notices

New to the Forum

Old 03-31-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New to the Forum

Hello, everyone! I just found this forum and decided it would be a good idea to join. I made the decision to quit drinking on March 22 - I'd tried to make that decision twice in the past, but my spouse didn't really "get" that it was what I needed to do, and I allowed him to enable me to slip back into bad habits because he really didn't understand until last week how harmful this has been for me.

I don't really fit the definition of alcoholism, but I was most certainly abusing alcohol for the past 3 or 4 years to deal with chronic pain, depression, and severe anxiety. It's been damaging to my friendships and my relationships, and I finally hit as bottom as I want to ever get on March 21. I committed the next day to not drinking at all any more, and my spouse is fully supportive of this. It's going to be a challenge living in New Orleans, where drinking culture is like nowhere else, and where every event involves alcohol, from babies' birthday parties to every holiday to just about any other event or gathering. My main concern is that my spouse will feel like he can't drink since I'm not, and I don't want it to be that way. He does not have a problem with drinking, and I want him to feel like he can drink when we go out (and consider me the permanent designated driver). This is all brand new to both of us, and I'm sure just one of the many issues I/we will have to navigate.

I look forward to reading the posts on this forum and learning as much as I can to help me with this new path.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. I am very interested in your post. I have terrible chronic pain and also have depression. I don't often have anxiety but when I do it is miserable. To be honest, I've had a very hard time dealing with my pain while sober. I know that alcohol really doesn't help the pain but it did get my mind off it, even for a short while. How do you handle your pain?

You have a different situation with your husband than I do. Mine is a normal drinker but he rarely drinks. He doesn't think I have a problem with alcohol either though and refuses to even talk to me about my own concerns about drinking. It is very difficult.

Anyway, there are really wonderful people here. Welcome again.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, SoberSusan You'll find lots of understanding and support here
Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just typed a long reply and it said I didn't have permission to post. Ugh.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Okay, I'm logged back in now.

I've tried physical therapy for pain management and it doesn't do much. My migraines are not currently being treated, and that's the worst part. I get cluster headaches which so far nothing has helped (prescription meds give me rebound headaches). When I drink, the pain subsides, along with my anxiety, and then I just want more, and more...until I'm blacked out. It's a cycle I've been knowing I need to break for years. It took ruining a weekend away with my husband last weekend for us both to truly realize the extent to which I've been using/abusing alcohol to deal with these issues.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is no wonder why addiction rates of chronic pain sufferers are so high. Pain is miserable. I don't get migraines but I do know of some people who have found Botox to be helpful. Have you looked into that?

I have severe nerve damage and I have chronic sciatica. I do have a neurostimulator implant that helps a bit but often the pain is so bad I pretty much stand on one leg. Sometimes when the pain is awful I get mean and I hate it. I just don't know what to do. I've had PT too, plus acupuncture, cupping, all sorts of things.

I wish I had good advice. Last night it took everything I had to NOT drink because the pain was so bad and I really wanted the escape so I know how it is. Sometimes it helps me to know I am not alone. I hope it helps you too.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you.

Did you find any relief from cupping? It's something I've been interested in, but I don't know anyone who has done it.

I'm going to avoid going to the doctor to get any pain meds, because I'm concerned about trading one bad behavior (drinking) for another (pills). I have a few oxycodone left which I ONLY take if I'm in terrible, unbearable pain because they make me very nauseated. I used to take Fioricet almost daily for my headaches, but after 6 months they completely stopped working. I'd rather be in pain than keep taking higher and higher dosages of medication, you know?

I'm going to get back to meditating, starting TODAY. I know that will help with my anxiety, and perhaps even a bit of my pain. You never know.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by SoberSusan5 View Post
Okay, I'm logged back in now.

I've tried physical therapy for pain management and it doesn't do much. My migraines are not currently being treated, and that's the worst part. I get cluster headaches which so far nothing has helped (prescription meds give me rebound headaches). When I drink, the pain subsides, along with my anxiety, and then I just want more, and more...until I'm blacked out. It's a cycle I've been knowing I need to break for years. It took ruining a weekend away with my husband last weekend for us both to truly realize the extent to which I've been using/abusing alcohol to deal with these issues.

Hi sobersusan5,

Migraine headaches are the worst, I had cluster headaches for years when I was in high school etc, and they have returned since I quit drinking, the thing is the doctor all those years ago blamed stress etc for the headaches and maybe underlying anxiety has caused them to return! Who knows...
All the best
Stuart.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think the idea behind cupping is to increase blood flow to the area. I could be wrong though. I thought it was relaxing but it did not help with the pain. I didn't keep it up for more than a few months though. The problem with alternative solutions for me is the cost. They are not covered by my insurance and are very expensive.

I agree with you on the narcotics. I won't take them for the same reason. I've had lots of doctors trying to convince me to take them. But what is the difference between taking them an alcohol? It seems that they are known to be ineffective for nerve pain yet they are prescribed to me all the time. I do live in a medical marijuana state so I could try that but I worry about eating too much.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 03-31-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxx
Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. I'm glad you've joined us.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I'm feeling really good about this. I had some email dialogue with my husband this afternoon while he was at work, letting him know it's going to cause me a great deal of anxiety if he has the "if you're not drinking, I can't either" mentality when we go out. He said he understood, but he also underscored that he does NOT want to drink every time we go out, and not to worry that it's my fault.

I feel more hopeful about life than I have in a while. I know I'll have my bad days, but as I've said before, I have less of an alcohol problem than a "life problem" - which I then medicate with vodka. I need to address those underlying issues to the best of my ability and get my mind in a healthy place. And self-medicating with alcohol is no longer an option. Ever again.

(And that statement above was not meant to deny I have a problem with drinking - it's simply to acknowledge that I have much bigger underlying issues which must be dealt with alongside the alcohol issues).
Old 03-31-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome SoberSusan5 !
Old 03-31-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Susan

D
Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you Susan. You'll find plenty of support & encouragement here.