Notices

Zoloft?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Zoloft?

As anyone had success with Zoloft? Did it help in recovery and stating sober?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been on Zoloft for the last 7 years. I haven't found it impacted my efforts to stay sober in the least. I take it for depression though. Is it supposed to help with recovery?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess that was my question too. It was prescribed to me for anxiety. But I'm pretty sure the anxiety is caused from alcohol and being hungover. I just started taking it today so I'll see if it helps.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck! It takes a while to kick in but it helps me.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,

Interesting question. I was having problems with severe anxiety and some depression too. I started taking Zoloft around the same time I decided it was really time to stop drinking. Been taking Zoloft for about 6 weeks. My anxiety is under control and I am more positive and emotionally stable.

I am sure Zoloft has helped put me in a better place to handle the emotional ups and downs of sobriety, to resist the urge to have "just one glass of wine with dinner", and to find the energy to do things to avoid triggers..

Good luck to you. Hope it helps!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It will help with the anxiety and depression, but when we decide to drink, we do so regardless of whether we are depressed or happy, sunny or rainy day, so the answer to your question is No. But alongside a program of recovery Zolof will help. I use AA alongside AVRT. if you've never heard of AVRT, just google Rational Recovery.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notincontrol View Post
It will help with the anxiety and depression, but when we decide to drink, we do so regardless of whether we are depressed or happy, sunny or rainy day.
True story.

I quit drinking 10 years ago and my anxiety was off the charts because I was not dealing with the reasons I drank.

I was given Zoloft. At first it helped but then it was like I could feel nothing. Not happy, not sad, just blank.

I drank again. Took me ten years to try again and go back to AA.

Once I dealt with the reasons I drank, made some friends to talk to who are also alcoholics, let go of the resentments and made amends the anxiety faded away.

Just got my year sober last week and I take no medication.

I am not saying it does not help, but it will not stop you from drinking.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't use Zoloft but I use anti-depressants. For me, it's been crucial in my recovery. My depression began decades before my drinking and I had to get it taken care of in order to recover. For me, the antidepressant levels the playing field so I have a chance, just like everyone else, to recover.

I will likely take it forever. It causes me no side-effects whatsoever. I still had to do all the work on myself in recovery, but the antidepressant made it possible for me to accomplish that.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been taking Zoloft for at least 15 years now and find it very helpful. I was taking it while drinking which negated it's antidepressant qualities. Now that I'm sober it's doing well as an antiD.