Notices

Cant sleep close to having a drink

Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant sleep close to having a drink

I have gotten 12 hours sleep in 5 days. After 25 years of drinking myself to sleep this is really hard. I need to sleep. Real close to having a drink just to get some rest!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

been there too.
Just lie there and rest.
It will come

Hang in there please
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NO! The drinking has caused your insomnia.

Can you have some herbal sleepytime tea? How about hot chocolate? Both those things help me sleep.

In very early sobriety it was tough to stay asleep - it gets easier, but not if you go back to alcohol.

Being Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired (HALT) are all triggers for drinking. Sleep is important to reset the brain and body. If I can't sleep I get up and have hot chocolate and toast and pretty soon I'm ready to go to bed. It's a process of healing - took me about two weeks before I slept through the night. Let me tell you, it's fantastic!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Tranklin View Post
Real close to having a drink just to get some rest!!!
Then you will be right back to square one...and facing five more days without sleep. And that's if you resume sobriety. No guarantee that "a drink" doesn't turn into a binge.

Stay the course.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It goes away.
You will find sleep again soon.
I know,been there and done that.

Just hang in there,it takes a while,but it's worth the wait.
It's one of the huddles to get over.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I lie there and rest for 3+ hours sometimes and just give up and go watch tv. I have to work tomorrow and need to sleep.. Sorry I sound like a frikin whiney baby..
Old 03-31-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sleep

I understand how you feel...today is my first day and i can already feel the withdrawl starting to set in. One thing i have found is taking 2 or 3mg of melatonin. I have been where you are a few times and it really helped me. You can get it at the drug store over the counter..
Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1meropet1 View Post
I understand how you feel...today is my first day and i can already feel the withdrawl starting to set in. One thing i have found is taking 2 or 3mg of melatonin. I have been where you are a few times and it really helped me. You can get it at the drug store over the counter..
Thank you! I found that the withdrawl was easy compared to getting some peacefull rest. Keep it up!
Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sometimes I tell myself, "The only way out is through." Wishing you good luck! Are you working with a Dr to help you manage the w/d issues?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

biminiblue is right. just take it easy, and herbal tea can be helpful.
just keep reading through some of these threads. you'll find others with the same complaints who stuck it out and improved greatly. some in a short time, others a little longer. depends on your body and history. IT DOES GET BETTER.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tranklin View Post
I lie there and rest for 3+ hours sometimes and just give up and go watch tv. I have to work tomorrow and need to sleep.. Sorry I sound like a frikin whiney baby..
TV doesn't really work for me to get me to sleep. What I do is listen to the radio. Then I can close my eyes and listen, and before I know it I am asleep. Give it a try!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i am going to try my best. I finally have a good support system in place now its just time...
Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

This is not an ad. I am just sharing my experiences here. I have finally found a way to finally sleep. I went to potentialsunlimited.com and bought a self hypnosis mp3. They have many different kinds from stop drinking to weight loss topics. You can download this stuff and as long as you are ready to go to bed and follow this instructions, you will sleep...peacefully I might add. I have found them very rewarding. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovinmenow View Post
This is not an ad. I am just sharing my experiences here. I have finally found a way to finally sleep. I went to potentialsunlimited.com and bought a self hypnosis mp3. They have many different kinds from stop drinking to weight loss topics. You can download this stuff and as long as you are ready to go to bed and follow this instructions, you will sleep...peacefully I might add. I have found them very rewarding. Hope this helps.
sounds legit ill try anything
Old 03-31-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your sleep will come back but it takes time to adjust to sleeping sober. Don't drink, whatever you do!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hang in there Tranklin.... I think part of the hard part is your mind starts telling you "SLEEP! You have to sleep! Sleep now!" because you get so paranoid about not sleeping...then you get frustrated because you can't sleep right away... a big vicious cycle. The best thing you can do is not drink, and hopefully it should be getting a little better every day... keep fighting, it's worth it!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Sleep will come. Mine came in short bursts but now I'm getting good sleep and it beats any drinking high I've had waking up sober. It is worth the wait and you don't want to start the time clock over.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

might sound corny, but have you considered some relaxation exercises for your mind or some meditation? I have had chronic sleep issues for years....well I had sleep issues when I drank because I drank and I couldn't sleep. Since I quit (3 months ago) my sleep comes and goes. I have read a few things on meditation and relaxation and they have helped. You can probably google some different techniques. I really like the meditation that is a "body scan" where you lie there and move through your mind mentally to relax it.

And you can't beat reading for a way to put you to sleep. Maybe a good book is something to look forward to, to relax you, and give your mind something else to focus on would help. Give yourself a break and maybe read an adventure book or a mystery. Just not a book about someone who is recovering or drinking. I read all the time and it helps me too. Hope you get some rest.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I use chamomile/mint tea before laying down, and put a few drops of lavender on a cloth next to my nose in bed. It usually works for me. I try not to fight it, and sleep eventually comes. Good luck from a former Rochesterian.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it's impacting your life why not see a Dr, Tranklin?

D