Notices

in the pits

Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

in the pits

Feeling awful today as I slid through an intersection during a bad snow storm and almost hit...a police cruiser

Suffice to to say, he was quite angry and I was quite drunk which now has me a day and a half later with an OVI, and hiring an attorney to go to court Wednesday.

Strange how I knew this day would come after 35+ years of drinking. It's time to throw in the towel and face me for real, for the first time in all these years.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know I needed a wake up call to commit to sobriety. I'm sorry yours was so severe.
It took me a long time, too. I hit bottom many times, but bounced. It was a miserable existance.
I hope things work out for the best for you. What happened to you is an excellent reason to stop drinking.

Best to you.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you.,I am at work and trying not to cry in front of people as it was bad enough having to have my son drive me to work. I am terrified at what may happen to me as far as jail and fines but there is no way around that.

I do believe though that if this had not happened, I would have gotten behind the wheel of a car again and again because this is how reckless I have become.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't be sad, nopartygirl. Coming here was a smart thing to do. There is so much support here from people who know exactly the living hell you are going through. Good news .....you never have to live that life again. Hopefully, this will be a blessing in disguise and you can start living an amazing life.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just take it one day at a time. The sobriety and the legal issues. That's all you can do, just one step, one thing, one right thing at a time.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Hire a good lawyer, to help you make a plea. In the meantime seek help, such as AA. Go to as many meeting as possible. Make sure your Lawyer knows that you are an Alcoholic and have just hit rock bottom, but that your seeking help.

Judges, believe it or not actually look for reasons not to sentence people to jail, at least in the UK. I am sure if you tell the truth and show remorse and start and maintain a program of sobriety, your legal issues will just be monetary.

What happens after the case, is you can go back drinking and go through this cycle again or an alternative would be to accept, you had a lucky miss, in the fact you are still alive and than you have to put drinking behind you now.

If like many people, you cant stop once you start (my hand is in the air), then your only hope is to not drink.

4 years ago I used to drink and smoke everyday heavily, then my Son was born and I stopped smoking. I never thought I would be able to do so.

The these past 6 months, I have stopped drinking, of course I have had a couple of setbacks, but just go back to sobriety quick. I havent had a drink since Jan 2nd and I feel great for doing so.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi nopartygirl,
Welcome to SR
Old 03-31-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR nopartygirl

As bad as that must have been, if it helps you turn your life around, it's not all bad

D
Old 03-31-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe this was a blessing in disguise. Many of us, including myself, have experienced "wake-up calls" that have got us on the right track. It's time to start moving in the right direction, and by showing up here you've shown that you're ready to give it a try. Good luck and welcome.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you nopartygirl. You are among friends who understand.

I drank 30 years & I know just how you're feeling right now. I went all those yrs. without getting a dui, then got 2 in a row. I became reckless at the end of my drinking career too. It definitely scared me into taking action. I was living in Delaware at the time and was considered a 'First Offender' - so I paid a fine, took a course, & had to attend a certain number of AA meetings. This can be the beginning of a whole new life for you. We're here to help.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I know this is a hard time for you but know that you can get through it.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey, at least you did not kill anyone or die. Yo.u can handle all this a lot better sober. One day at a time we are all doing this and you can too. You are in my prayers. I am so glad you have joined us
Old 03-31-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR from a fellow Buckeye. You've come to a good place for support in getting sober.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If I've learned one thing here at SR...we can always turn our lives around. Welcome
Old 03-31-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words and support. Met with an attorney., and I feel a little better about the future. For sure a tough lesson all around including financially.

I do believe this was "divine" intervention and happened because it finally needed to. I will take my lumps and focus on taking care of me completely going forward. This is a great starting place and I have an unbelievable family who loves and believes in me. Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

Glad you are here and committed to staying sober.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nopartygirl View Post
Feeling awful today as I slid through an intersection during a bad snow storm and almost hit...a police cruiser

Suffice to to say, he was quite angry and I was quite drunk which now has me a day and a half later with an OVI, and hiring an attorney to go to court Wednesday.

Strange how I knew this day would come after 35+ years of drinking. It's time to throw in the towel and face me for real, for the first time in all these years.
Things happen for a reason, lucky you never killed anyone, or maimed anyone else. You are one lucky person.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree- you are actually lucky! Sure, you'll have to face the music now, but imagine how much worse it could have been. Someone could have died. I was only popped for DUI once; it wasn't enough to make me stop drinking but it did make me stop drinking and driving. Up til then I'd probably drove drunk a couple hundred times and nothing happened. My arrest was a stroke of good luck, believe it or not. Since my record had been clean til that point I wound up pleading to Reckless Driving and didn't serve any jail time, just probation.

Learn from this and don't make the same mistake again. Maybe now is the time to look long and hard at your life and change the things that aren't working for you.