Notices

Just worried

Old 03-30-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just worried

I'm a 22yo college student on his first year living on his own. Most weekends my friends and I binge drink; while I can safely handle a single beer or glass of wine with dinner or at a public event, it's these private weekend hangouts that scare me.
I've struggled with depression my whole life, and lately I've felt compelled to "medicate" with alcohol. I almost never give into this urge, but my weekend drinking has been getting more and more destructive. Last night I ended up doing something while drunk that I know I would have never done sober, and it has caused some damage between my roommate and I. I feel like this may be the last straw.
I don't want to give up the simple pleasures of a beer now-and-then, but I also know that alcoholism runs in my family and I have an addictive personality (smoker since 14 and struggled with addictions to illicit drugs).
I've been reading these boards all day and figured that the best way to get advice was just to ask. Is it possible to control myself or should I seriously start considering complete sobriety?
Old 03-30-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. If you're anything like me, and I used to 'medicate' my depression too, you'll soon realize that complete abstinence is the way to go. Trying to control your drinking will be a waste of energy. Stay sober for three months and see how you feel then. Living sober is its own reward.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Wubblz. I'm so glad you joined us.

I commend you for taking a hard look at what alcohol is doing to your life. I wish I had at 22. I knew I didn't drink like others, but I kept trying to control myself - with disastrous results later in life.

If your drinking leads to unpredictable behavior there's a good chance you have no control once it's in your system. Drinking turned me into a person I didn't even recognize. It was much safer and easier to give it up all together. I hope you'll stay with us and keep posting.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Wubblz

I think once you've done something you normally would not do, or you may have a relationship ruined by alcohol, it's probably time to look at the 'simple pleasure' for what it is.

Do you think it's possible for you to never binge drink again and restrict yourself to one or two glasses from here on in?

D
Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of good advice here. I'm glad that you're here seeking information and support. If you are an alcoholic, then you won't be able to moderate your drinking. Like you, I began drinking in order to self-medicate depression/anxiety. That was a horribly wrong decision to make. I hope that you decide to live a sober life.