Notices

Four Months

Old 03-28-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four Months

This is my first post in this community. Today, I have four months of abstinence, and it has been six months since the last time I got drunk (I had one glass of wine at Thanksgiving, and have had nothing since.)

It was surprisingly easy to stop, even after binge drinking for roughly fifteen years. Aside from friends, I didn't tell many people about my secret drinking problem, but I was asked to do something outside my regular duties at work. I couldn't physically do it because I was hungover, and everyone on my team finally knew. I quit out of humiliation. However, I feel better physically, everything in life has gotten easier, and I've even lost some (not much) weight.

One of the only downside is that I have a lot of free time and absolutely nothing to do. I don't have any hobbies or special artistic talents to try to re-cultivate. I don't play any instruments, and I only have two non-drinking friends (former drinking buddies that also quit), one of whom gave me a four-month AA chip as a gift. We're on different schedules and have different days off. I don't know what to do with my gobs and gobs of free time.

The other downside is that I've become aware that I'm stuck in a menial job (the kind of job you can do hungover), and have been for years. Since my effort went into getting drunk during my off time, I did as little as possible. Now, I have no influence, few skills, and indifferent references. I have to find a better job somewhere else, but I feel like I'm at the same level as someone that just graduated from high school. I'm stable, but it's low-level stability. I was a functional drunkard, but just barely. Still, I'm so glad I finally quit. I feel so much better now.

If any of you have stories about how you dealt with the boredom or side-effects of a drinking career that eclipsed your 8-to-5, I'd love to hear them. I know I'm not alone in my struggle, but I don't know many other people who are experiencing the same problems.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a very friendly and supportive site. Congrats on four months sober!

I had to change my whole mindset as I also had/have lots of free time. I had to just take drinking off the table of options. Once I did that, I was on solid ground.

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, slowlane, and congratulations on four months of sobriety.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you SlowLane.

Seeing reality with sober eyes does require a period of adjustment. I know what you mean about the free time. I hope a new job will help you feel less bored. I hope others will have some suggestions. You can spend some quality time here with us - we're very glad to have you here.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi slow lane - welcome and congrats on 4 months

I don't have any hobbies or special artistic talents to try to re-cultivate.
why not cultivate new ones? There must be something you're interested in, something you always wanted to try?

if your job is menial what about studying and getting some qualifications so you can get a better job?

It's your life - why not make it what you want it to be?

D
Old 03-28-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

to SR and congratulations on making the most important decision of your life!

Since you mentioned that you lost some weight.... why not take up a new healthy habit? Walking or Cycling would be a great way to spend some time and would help you get healthy too. Lots of great places to hike in N. Cal and since spring has sprung, the perfect time to get out there is right now!

Congratulations on making it to 4 months! That is a great start to your new sober life!

Old 03-28-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I'd like to invite you to our Chat Meetings which take place every Fri and Tue night at 9EST/6PST. Just click on the Chat Room button above and then enter the Meeting Room through the door on the right.

Hope to see you there.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Grats on 4 months
Old 03-29-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4Life View Post
I'd like to invite you to our Chat Meetings which take place every Fri and Tue night at 9EST/6PST. Just click on the Chat Room button above and then enter the Meeting Room through the door on the right.

Hope to see you there.
Thanks! I'll check out the Tuesday one. I have company staff meetings on Friday afternoons, but Tuesday nights in my house are like the old westerns with the wind and the tumbleweeds.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and congrats xxxx