Notices

Some things I won't miss...

Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some things I won't miss...

Preparing to start again on Day One... I had a good 5+ months sober last year, and things have been pretty under control since then... but as always happens, drinking wins in the end. The other day I went to the store just to get out of the house and found myself buying a bottle of whiskey at the counter. I remember thinking.... aw man... I don't really want that... just tell her to put it back. But I didn't. I thought, I could just go home and throw it out there... but I didn't. I told myself I could moderate it and make it last for a few days... but I didn't. By the morning it was gone.

That was a few days back and I had already told myself it was time to stop. That was just the icing on the cake. I talked to my wife about it, who confirmed that she was worried herself, starting to see me drink more. All the alcohol is now out of the house, with the exception of 2 beers that have been in the fridge for over 6 months.

That leads me to some idle thoughts I have been having today...

I won't miss feeling broke but somehow managing to spend an average of $10-$20 a day on alcohol... not to mention extra $$ spent so that I don't feel ashamed of just buying a bottle of wine by itself.

I won't miss wondering if the checkers remembered me buying a bottle yesterday... or staggering my trips to the two stores in town so that I can alternate where I buy from.

I won't miss all the bottles in the recycling cart and trying to pack them around cardboard so that it doesn't make a horrendous noise when I pull it out to the curb.

I won't miss when a relative stops by unexpectedly and I've let a collection of mostly empty wine bottles pile up, sitting on top of the fridge.

There's a lot of things about drinking that I won't miss. The key is going to be what I think about down the road when suddenly I realize I think I miss having a beer or a glass of wine.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today the office is pretty quiet because last night most of the department went out and drank. Not long ago a colleague dragged into my office looking like crap and complained how tired and hung over she was and that she didn't know how she was going to finish the day. I don't miss that.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I could have written all of your "won't misses." Good for you for getting back on track.

-I say dump those 2 beer in the fridge, just to be safe
Old 03-28-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Parrot, I am sorry you fell down but I am glad you are picking yourself back up again.

I won't miss waking up in the middle of the night with my heart racing. With a big, busy day ahead of me and not looking forward to any of it.

When I am sober, I love my life. I love where I live, I love my jobs, I love working out, I love my friends, I love my family. I love my life. every minute of it.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Parrotice23 View Post
There's a lot of things about drinking that I won't miss. The key is going to be what I think about down the road when suddenly I realize I think I miss having a beer or a glass of wine.
Think about this: If you could enjoy a beer or a glass of wine you wouldn't have a problem. It's the drinks that follow that make it so you have a problem.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss waking up hating myself (again) and feeling like death warmed over.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Think about this: If you could enjoy a beer or a glass of wine you wouldn't have a problem. It's the drinks that follow that make it so you have a problem.

Yes! You nailed it exactly there....
Old 03-28-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Parrotice

I too would dump those two beers - make a bold statement of intent

D