Notices

What do?

Old 03-28-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do?

I've been home w/ parents and dropped a ton of addictions. Alcohol, pot, cigs kratom and benzo's.

I'm going to move out but am worried about relapse of one or more of the above. However i've implemented some new habits like meditation, mindfulness, lifting weights, eating healthy etc. I feel more stable than ever. My main issue was anxiety around people. I feel I'm more accepting of it and understand myself better now.

Obv I can't live with parents forever. I plan on moving to a new city where i don't' know anyone and start over. I think this is crucial in breaking my old habits. Finding new friends that aren't addicted to that stuff. Meet people who aren't into those things except maybe pot and occasional drinking.

Do I need support group or something so I don't relapse? Any tips?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You attacked a lot of addictions, be proud of that!!!

You might just have an introverted personality. Absolutely nothing wrong with that! No need to be a social butterfly if you don't feel like it.

Important thing is to be happy. Hope this helps a bit.

I personally am a bit introverted, I have 0 need to have 20 friends calling me all the time to do stuff. I count my friends to only a few. 2 actually. LOL!
Me and my 7 year old son.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. Not knowing you I'll speak in generalities. I've been in the fellowship many years and usually people that do geographical changes always bring themselves and end up in the same old same old. Support groups is not a dirty word and are always more successful than doing it ourselves. Some can do it but I wouldn't bet a dime on them for long term success. It's your choice.

BE WELL
Old 03-28-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery. Without knowing your addiction story or your recovery journey, my comment will be, like IOAA2's, a general one.

Originally Posted by huehue View Post
I plan on moving to a new city where i don't' know anyone and start over. I think this is crucial in breaking my old habits. Finding new friends that aren't addicted to that stuff. Meet people who aren't into those things except maybe pot and occasional drinking.
I think if you meet and hang out with people who smoke pot and drink, then you will smoke pot and drink.

Whatever future plans you make...make sure they support your recovery, not the tendencies of your old life.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! If you do move to another city, be sure to maintain your sober lifestyle there. As Carl says, if you hang out with drinkers you're likely to drink yourself.

Support groups can be very helpful and is also another way to meet sober friends.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good job on getting free of all those things huehue. We're glad to have you with us - this is a good place to spend some time.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you've accomplished a lot.

I think moving could work for you, but it might be a good idea to have a plan in place as to how you will find a job, meet people, get involved in activities, etc.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Find a local AA group and go to some meetings. Nothing says you have to go every day or even every week but you might be able to meet some clean and sober people that way.

How about a Sierra Club Hiking group or a Cycling club?

As others have said, it would not be a good idea to start hanging out with folks that are involved with the behavior's that you have already given up. Your new life should remain Clean and Sober, as the work you have already done is OUTSTANDING! Don't throw it away.....

Glad you found us. I'd like to invite you to our Chat Meetings which take place every Fri and Tue night at 9EST/6PST. Just click on the chat Room button above and then enter the Meeting Room through the door on the right.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here huehue - welcome to SR

D