Notices

On the waggon for three days now NEEDING HELP

Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Teigan5

Exclamation On the waggon for three days now NEEDING HELP

Hi All,

I have finally decided to give up drinking as I've seen the light as to how much it has been destroying my life and affecting those around me. Been to my first AA meeting and going to my next one tonight.

Really worried about my job though, as I've made a number of mistakes recently, which have been down to me drinking heavily after work each night. I hadn't been functioning properly during the day and didn't realise, or was unwilling to admit it was the alcohol. I've taken some time off, saying it's for depression.

I am so worried at going back too early as I've read that whilst going thru detox my concentration levels will drop and I may in fact perform even worse than I did whilst drinking. My job is on line line and I'm also worried I will loose it if I don't go back next week.

I am a contractor and the usual work help is not there. Basically if you make mistakes and go off sick they don't want you. I live in Scotland, so if there is anyone out there who can help with some advice I'd really appretiate it.

I am determined though to stay sober and even if I loose the job then so be it. Staying sober is the most important thing for me, but keeping my job would really help on the pressure of financial problems that will occur should I get the sack.

Kind regards and look forward to your help and support.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Teigan, I'm in Scotland too. As you say, as a contractor you don't have the same proetction as an employee and can't have sick pay /holidays etc.

My only advice would be to do the best you can. Personally I felt physically a lot better after day 3 so maybe it won't be as bad as you expect. You sound really positive and determined which will help you. Can you make plans for short term breaks even just ten minutes or so if you feel things are getting too much for you. Just take it one day at a time
Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Teigan5 View Post
Hi All,

I have finally decided to give up drinking as I've seen the light as to how much it has been destroying my life and affecting those around me. Been to my first AA meeting and going to my next one tonight.

Really worried about my job though, as I've made a number of mistakes recently, which have been down to me drinking heavily after work each night. I hadn't been functioning properly during the day and didn't realise, or was unwilling to admit it was the alcohol. I've taken some time off, saying it's for depression.

I am so worried at going back too early as I've read that whilst going thru detox my concentration levels will drop and I may in fact perform even worse than I did whilst drinking. My job is on line line and I'm also worried I will loose it if I don't go back next week.

I am a contractor and the usual work help is not there. Basically if you make mistakes and go off sick they don't want you. I live in Scotland, so if there is anyone out there who can help with some advice I'd really appretiate it.

I am determined though to stay sober and even if I loose the job then so be it. Staying sober is the most important thing for me, but keeping my job would really help on the pressure of financial problems that will occur should I get the sack.

Kind regards and look forward to your help and support.

Hi mate,

So glad you have found your way to this site, it is a great source of information during the transition you are going through, what you are going through is normal believe me, and as difficult as it may seem right now it does not last forever. Avoid any triggers that may tempt you, and being scottish myself most people I know drink more than they perhaps should.. I generally avoid any drinking situations and found that after work when I would normally get beers and head home quite tough initially as habits are hard to break regardless of what they are. When I have a beer though I generally grab a coffee or a bottle of water and the though passes by pretty quick. Even substitute the drink for chocolate or sweets anything that works for you.
Well done so far and good luck mate.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you going through a medically supervised detox?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Teigan5

Hi Readyatlast,

I am a telecoms engineer and generally work alone. I can make that time during the day to take 10min out at a time. I'm also not sure if I should be up front with my boss about my alcoholism?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Teigan5

Hi Readyatlast,

I am a telecoms engineer and generally work alone. I can make that time during the day to take 10min out at a time. I'm also not sure if I should be up front with my boss about my alcoholism?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Teigan5

No I'm just going to AA. Went to the docs and was up-front about exactly how much I have been drinking. Doc suggested I go back onto anti depressants buthe later decided to wait a couple of weeks to see how I get on with detox with AA.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I mentioned detox because it can be quite a serious thing. I ended up in the emergency room twice with severe withdrawal symptoms when I decided to suddenly quit and detox at home.
If your doctor is not experienced or well-informed of the how, when and why of detox, maybe you can find an outpatient center where they can arrange an inpatient detox or manage it on an outpatient basis. Most detox for chronic alcoholism is usually inpatient.
I'm surprised he did not suggest a plan for detox.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

T-5,

Good luck to you & stay tough. I found day 3 the hardest and things have been easier after that. Try to stay positive & if you want a drink, go for a long walk instead. Don't give up!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Teigan5

I don't think we have the same resources here as you do in Sweden. I must admit I was quite surprised after reading more about detox. I will take this up at AA tonight.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Teigan5

PS I am worried as my job takes me all over the country and I'm worried about going back too early in case something happens.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Teigon, I know everyone is different, but it's worth mentioning that not everybody experiences gut wrenching withdrawals. I had my last drink on a Sunday night and worked entire next week. Regarding the fuzzy head, even at its worst, I am able to function way better at work now than when I was drinking heavily. I called myself a functioning alcoholic when I first quit, but in hindsight, I wasn't functioning very well at all -- it was more like I was still showing up. Best wishes to you this weekend!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Teigan5 View Post
Hi Readyatlast,

That's good if you can make up the time. I personally would not disclose such info at work. For me it puts me in a too vulnerable a position and you don't have employment protection.

If you have a very good relationship with your boss and trust them could you perhaps say you've had some personal health issues which you intend not to affect your work but just think it's best to be upfront just in case-this isn't lying but isn't disclosing all your vulnerabilities either.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Teigan.

How long do you have before you have to return to work?

If you can get through a week you should be through most of your physical withdrawal.
It all depends on how much and for how long you have drank. It would be wise to consult with your doctor asap.
Having said that, emotionally you may feel the pangs of craving, fatigue, loss, embarrassment, etc. This you may have to deal with for awhile. Make sure to get plenty of rest and stay away from the first drink. Things will get better.
Spiritually, most of us are defunct. Try talking to God however you know Him.
Be kind to yourself. Avoid that first drink.
You are well on your way to being sober. Congratulations!
Keeping sober is the most important thing for you now. You are doing good. Treat it as if your life depended on it. It may well. We are all here to help you as much as we can. Afterall, we too, are just one drink away from all the problems we had to face while drinking.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA member

Teigan I would not advise telling your employer about the alcoholism.

Keep yourself well hydrated and eat well.

Great that you are going to AA meetings.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would advise against telling your employer too much about your struggles with alcohol.

Let your work speak for you and focus on doing your best. Get support from AA, your doctor, here, and anywhere else you find understanding.

Employers can see addiction issues as a liability and as much as they may try to establish apparent 'support' - it more often than not becomes a stigma and can be an unspoken reason to find other reasons to weed employees out.

Best to keep this with trusted and appropriate folks and keep it separate from your job. In relatively short order, it's likely your performance will improve and you'll be noticeably more valued at work soon enough. Just focus on getting the support you need to work a strong program of sobriety and do your best.

welcome.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Teigan. I'm glad you're putting your sobriety above everything else. I hope posting here - and your AA meetings - will help you through this adjustment. Be proud of yourself for reclaiming your life.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can see no benefit for telling your boss (or co-workers) that you are an alcoholic. There is too much opportunity for someone to use it against you.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Teigan5

I've been drinking on a regular basis for at least the least 20 years. Many of those years at least a quarter bottle of spirits per night and often a half on friday and sat nights.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Teigan

If you're not satisfied with your current Drs response can you get a second opinion?

D