Notices

I'm jealous

Old 03-27-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm jealous

Was walking out of a restaurant after dinner (only iced tea for me) and saw people enjoying a glass of wine, a pint of beer of the week, laughing and enjoying knowing full well when they leave there will be no stopping of at the liquor store on the way home to pick up a pint of vodka to cap off the night....or start a week long binge. Of course I can't do that. I can't just enjoy a glass of wine or pint and call it a night. Wish I could but can't. Made me jealous.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jealousy is a normal and understandable reaction for newly sober people.

Try and think about the things that bought you here - thats the reality of our drinking, not one mythical glass of wine in a restaurant with good company.

D
Old 03-27-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

aahhhh.yes....the mythical glass of wine.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Amateurs.

I'm jealous of people who accepted their addiction before I did and have more sober time than me.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I'm jealous of people who accepted their addiction before I did and have more sober time than me.
^ This. I am still living in that hell you envy right now...and I am jealous of your GOOD WORK. You don't need to go back there again. Keep it up. You are inspiring others, even if you do not realise it.

Best, Saille
Old 03-27-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm jealous of people who were born with trust funds, too. But I had to learn to live with it. Life isn't fair, and you can let it eat you up or just keep moving on.

Sometimes it also helps to think it the whole way through: They are going to have one glass of wine and then go home. Once there, they will take out the trash, walk the dog, and make sure the kids finish their homework before going to bed at a reasonable hour.

Nothing to see there, keep focused on your own sobriety and move on.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I hear you. It was that way for me too in the beginning. I can't stress enough how realistically playing the tape out helps. Looking at people enjoying themselves and then saying "ok LB put yourself there, what happens next?"

Which leads me to what might be an insightful post to create.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never wanted just one or even two. I have had more than my fair share. I saw a guy in front of me in line today with a six pack and at first I was looking at it and tasting it in my mind then I looked at the guys face and his unhappy look reminded me of myself a month ago and I felt sorry for him. I was fine with my king sized babyruth. Anymore when I see people drinking and having a great time I don't think wow they are lucky they don't have a problem and can do that..I figure that most of them do and are living in there own he'll or struggling with the stuff themselves. I know a lot of alcoholics and lots more that just don't know it yet.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Mighty Flea I still feel a bit nostalgic and jealous when I see people having a glass of wine with a meal but it's just a feeling; it's not going to make me drink because what I'm seeing is an illusion for me.
I was at a restaurant for lunch recently and there was a long table near me where they were sharing bottles of sparkling. If I'd been on that table I'd have been finishing my glass long before everyone else, tracking the bottle, wondering how much I could have without everyone noticing........
I was so happy to be away from that and relaxed with my ginger beer.