Notices

allways something

Old 03-27-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

allways something

I tried to be sober.
Last month i was sober allmost all month. But for me it seems that it' not that hard to get sober, but to mantain it. Yeah, great news, nostradamus! I know!

Long story short, i can be sober and enjoy it allmost all the time. But after 10, 11 days, i get a tension that lasts... I keep lying myself that it will go away the next day, but it isn't and i crash.
It's not withdrawal, because i have that the next days i don't drink and i can get past that, i was an everyday drinker, not a binge.
This year i drunk 7 times, just for one day and just because of this.
I really want to be sober and clean for good, the fact that i don't drink for 10 days and crash on the eleven'th means nothing to me. I want to be clean forever. I'm tired of counting days and reset and counting again...

Please help me, i know i'm at the begining at this journey, but i want it to be a journey, not just trips...
Old 03-27-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I'm sure you can do it and there is a lot of support here. Don't worry if you don't get repsonses straight away but it is an international forum and many people are asleep. Hang on in there xxxx
Old 03-27-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there weirdesttoner,

Trial and error with a lot of error. Many have done exactly as you have. I can't remember the number of times I quit. I'm on day 89 I think. It takes some motivation for sure. But wouldn't you rather lose count of the days sober and start counting in months? Then years? That's my goal. It takes determination. You've got it you just need to apply it.

Welcome aboard.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by weirdesttoner View Post
I i can be sober and enjoy it allmost all the time. But after 10, 11 days, i get a tension that lasts... I keep lying myself that it will go away the next day, but it isn't and i crash.
That sounds like life. Life isn't always enjoyable, and there are inevitably ups and downs. Have you tried to ride out the tension? How about dealing with the tension by exercising or listening to music?

You can do this!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe it's time to try something different weirdstoner?

Where do you stand on recovery groups?

D
Old 03-27-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go to your Doctor and explain the pattern. The thing about Doctors is that it is almost impossible to tell them something they haven't heard hundreds if not thousands of times before. You are unique....just like everyone else :-)

My point is that you might have undiagnosed anxiety or something like that. That was what kept me busting. This back of the mind, can't quite put my finger on it, tension sort of thing. The only thing that would arrest it was a couple of drinks. Turns out I do and have suffered from Severe Anxiety Disorder forever. Mellow medication has arrested it. Not saying that this is you but you never know. Go and have a frank chat.

10 years ago in Australia there were around 2 million prescriptions given out for anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications. In 2012 that number was around 17 million I was told. Not wanting to get into any sort of discussion around over prescribing, Doctor's ethics, pharmaceutical companies motivating Drs to prescribe etc. The point is that many people have and continue to suffer silently with basic fight or flight related mental issues that are sown into their DNA going back to the cave days. If you see a pattern, feel tension and anxiety go talk to your Dr and spill it out.

There were reasons I drank. Finding out what they are and continuing to do so was critical to my getting sober and staying sober. Good luck my friend.