Notices

90 days!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

90 days!

Last Thursday by 90-day count was my 90 days, but if I go to "exact date" then it was yesterday. Either way, I made it!

I'm not in a recovery program for alcoholism, but have done it on my own. I haven't actually announced to many people that I've quit drinking, but find ways to work around having a drink or make any sort of big announcement. Last weekend I was with my father (alcoholic) and we went out to dinner and he offered me a drink and I politely declined and he asked, "why?" I told him that I don't drink anymore and so he asked me about it and I gave him a lot of reasons (but I didn't say that it was because I didn't want to end up like him in 20 years) and he accepted it without judgment. After our dinner we went to his friends' house for drinks and dessert and he announced that I don't drink anymore, but other people were talking so I don't think anyone heard him.

Anyway, I feel great. I'm doing a lot of work on myself, a main step being that I've separated myself from a negative relationship. I sleep so well, I love it! I've lost a few pounds, don't feel so icky, don't feel like I look so tired all the time, and have a clear head. All good things.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Good stuff indeed! Kudos on making decisions that will help you create the kind of life you want. Doesn't it feel good to take your life back?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Grats on 90 days
Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats, AuntieSoSo. Glad to hear things are going so well. I think that your father's announcement at his friend's house was a vote of support.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks! I can't say I don't miss it, but I feel better and if/when I think of in the future maybe I could have just one drink, or drink socially just a little bit, or whatever, I try to think of how disappointed I would be in myself to give up all my hard work just for some booze and I'd have to hit the reset button and start all over again.

I have found a substitute drink for when I want to hear those ice cubes jingling in a glass. I have tonic water and Rose's lime juice and it tastes just weird enough to satisfy me. Obviously there's no buzz there, but I like the odd flavor, and good news is I won't get malaria or scurvy! ;-)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Congrats, AuntieSoSo. Glad to hear things are going so well. I think that your father's announcement at his friend's house was a vote of support.
Yes, I think so. I think it also may have been a way to see how others feel about drinking in the presence of someone who is not drinking. Like, would his friends judge me (or maybe him) if I'm not drinking? Would they act weird or would I act weird? I don't mind being around people who are drinking (although being around drunk people isn't fun) and feel fully capable of handling myself in such a situation. But he didn't know that so perhaps he was testing the waters. It was all fine.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Congratulations!!

Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good job congrats