what can I expect?

Old 03-27-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what can I expect?

My Boyfriend is currently in rehab for treatment of both alcohol and substance abuse. His drug of choice was Crystal Meth. This is his second stint in rehab but we were not together for the first one.

He is coming home in 3 weeks and I'm so nervous! I've been trying to find a little help online but so far haven't found much to help.

I haven't been involved in his treatment at rehab as his parents felt it was better that they handle it.

basically I am looking for info on what I can do to assist in his recovery process as well as what I can do to try and make our relationship work.

any advice would be so greatly appreciated as I am so in the dark at the moment!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Rehab isn't a cure but it gives them tools to use when they are tempted to use again and ways to heal from past wounds. Whether they use the tools is up to them, rehabs are usually as effective as the addicts willingness to make the changes necessary in his life to stay clean.

That said, I really hope he stays clean when he comes home. It may take time to rebuild your relationship. You don't need to walk on eggshells, nothing you do or do not do will "make" him stay clean or relapse, those decisions are his to face.

I don't know if you have tried any meetings to help regain your balance. Many of us found our own healing and healthier way of living through meetings and surrounding ourselves with support.

When he comes home, take your time deciding what you can accept in your life and what you cannot, and then don't lose the joy in today worrying about what tomorrow may or may not bring.

Hugs