need a vaccine, just got back from a sick meeting

Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need a vaccine, just got back from a sick meeting

ugh! I excused myself early it was so bad.

I found a support group for people with incarcerated partners. I figured why not!? couldn't hurt right? supposedly they encourage each other on various trials of dealing with the system, and coping skills for loneliness etc. I knew it wasn't a 12 step program but I'm an openminded person.

this is a classic example of not having expectations in life.

I thought they would talk about self care, maybe feelings, and being independent while the spouse was away. I was dead wrong.

this was a group of women just sitting around crying and complaining in the worst ways possible, some were even inconsolable. The leader didn't do much to even keep the meeting on track...I was reminded of when newbies share in NA and stray off topic and just start telling war stories.

ugh! that wasn't what I was looking for to say the least and so I'm here now haha where I know I'm encouraged in my recovery instead of being encouraged to talk about him all the time. Thanks everyone. I feel a little better.
I think I'll go to a good old fashioned al anon meeting tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Lily, I'm sorry your meeting went south so fast. I have found through life that my Al-anon and CoDA meetings have seen me through many troubled times, not just with my son's addiction. I work the 12 steps at least once a year, to refresh my program but also as I change and my life changes, how I apply the steps change too.

I am glad you can find your peace here, and at your Al-anon meeting. We are about living life well, embracing the beauty in each day and keeping our balance...even when those around us are losing theirs.

Good luck tonight, I have a feeling something someone says at your meeting will be just what you need to hear. That's how it usually was for me.

Hugs
Old 03-27-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lily: when I first realized I needed to get back to meetings because my of my son's drug/alcohol use, I tried non-Al-Anon, non-Naranon meetings. They were meetings for families of addicts, though. I eventually found myself back at Al-Anon and then really started getting better. But I really did waste a couple of years in doing that. You were just one meeting!