Notices

So I had an panic attack

Old 03-26-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I had an panic attack

Last night, after a very low key dinner. I haven't had one of these in a couple of years, and I can't identify a trigger other than changing brain chemistry from sobriety. I dug out an old Ativan and went to bed. Anyone else experience something like this?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I can suffer from severe panic attacks. I don't know what triggers mine but I think drinking caused them in the first place.

Hope you feel better today
Old 03-26-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I have also had severe panic attacks in the past but not since I got sober. I would recommend that the next time this happens, you get up and start moving. Walk around the block or just around the house for at least 10 minutes. I found that sitting still or laying down during an attack just made it worse but walking while breathing deeply, in through your nose and out through your mouth, would help it end a lot sooner.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I second hope4life. Walk take deep breaths put some relaxing music, do some prayers, repeat positive statements in your mind, I'm fine, I can do this, i am at peaceful.

Hang on and keep moving forward.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I have had panic attacks since my teen years. They definitely got worse during my drinking years. They still happen occasionally.

There are lots of things you can do to help. "From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett is a great book.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Had numerous ones over the years.
As for the old ativan: I hope that doesn't become a habit.

Last week I had what was most likely a mini stroke.
Chatting away, totally relaxed in the spa...and suddenly, I cant link my words, or understand anyone. It lasted 5 to 10.

Always smart to keep tabs on events, especially if far from the norm.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Panic attacks are definitely no fun. When I first started having them I was certain I was developing ALS or something equally terrible because I couldn't breath. When my doctor told me it was panic attacks, I was honestly stunned because it never crossed my mind. But ALS did, go figure!!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Scary, Bubovski! I have an alarming amount of addictive medications in my house that are buried in my linen closet. I should get rid of it all simply because I have 2 sons and their cadre of friends in the house at all hours.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I never had them most of my life but started to towards the end of my drinking, and had a few in the months after I quit too, although they got milder. Now at a year or so into sobriety, I can sometimes feel the "start" of one coming on...but i'm generally able to avoid them. I have no doubt that my drinking was at least one of the causes of them, and that quitting has been a big reason in them subsiding too.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started having them when I was dealing with serious medical issues -- both myself and one of my kids. In fact, this period is when my daily drinking picked up in earnest. That was about 10 year ago. What a stupid strategy in hindsight...
Old 03-26-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also have panic attacks. Used to take Ativan....used to take Ativan a lot. Got addicted to Ativan. I still crave Ativan. I have had to use deep breathing to get through my attacks, as I am just an all around substance abuser so I have to be very careful.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've used deep breathing techniques to deal with mine too Holli. It's pretty rare I get one nowadays.

D
Old 03-26-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I had a panic attack last week at a party. This woman (who was nice enough) kept talking and I felt I couldn't get away. Slowly, the panic built until it was in full blown attack mode. I quickly excused myself to the bathroom and did some deep breathing. It quickly passed after that. I am newly sober, I am sure it is directly related to that.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I still get them now again, but they aren't as bad as when drinking like Dee says. Also once I found out what they were and I wasn't actually dying, they didn't seem quite so bad xxxxx