Notices

Returning

Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Returning

I have used the chatroom a lot this year but not posted on the forum.

The last couple of months have seen me slip into old habits again...hard. I stopped drinking again on Sunday. Saw my psychiatrist today and was honest about what's been going on. Called my therapist who's been chasing me up for about 6 weeks. Back in contact with AA fellows. Began taking my medication again.

My issue is, how do I help myself? I know the change has to come from within, I just don't know how. My battle with bulimia has been going on for over 10 years, and with alcohol around 6. I have had periods of sobriety but just fall back. I live alone and am prone to isolation.

I want to be well and I want to change. I just feel a bit lost. I don't know how to begin. My identity is lost, I have little interest in anything when I used to be so passionate about so much.

Just had to put it out there. Thanks for reading.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hopefully your therapist can help. You can turn this around xxxxx
Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, I really wanted sobriety when I just was sick and tired of always being sick and tired. At that point I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I feel beat. Had enough of it.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try18, I am sorry for your struggle.

Unfortunately there comes a time when we have to gather up our strength and want sobriety more than the drink. You are not alone, post here. Make a plan, change and adapt it as you go.

Sometimes, also unfortunately no matter how much help we seek it comes down to us. The human will is stronger than we think. I am in a free outpatient program. They are short staffed, my next meeting got cancelled today. Know what, maybe it was meant to be, maybe I must try to make my own path. Waiting 2 weeks for a meeting is not an excuse to get plastered.

Personal accountability is key.

All over the place here, sorry but I believe you can lift yourself from this. Easy? Nope, possible INDEED!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Try - sounds like you're reengaging with support so that a good start.

I know what it's like to feel like this is an endless struggle...you look back and think what's the point I always end up in the same place....

I struggled for 15 years. What finally workd for me was reaching out for help and finding support.

When I felt like drinking, I didn't listen to the voice that said don;t bother people, it's too late... I bothered people...they help[ed me through...and I didn't drink.

a week became two, became a month, 2 months..and things started to change. I began to believe this time was different. And it was.

It's never too late, try. Recovery is in reach for all of us - I really believe that

D
Old 03-26-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you're struggling so much. Please don't give up.

Do you believe that your medication is helping? If not, talk to your dr because it could be that a change would help.

And, start slowly. What I found in the early days was that for each thing I did, putting myself out there, it had a ripple effect on the rest of my life.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I'm not sure if my meds help. I'm to see how I get on for the first month of sobriety again with it. I am determined I can do that, each day at a time. It's overwhelming but I did my best today and will do the same tomorrow. I have a great family and in my late twenties, so still got so much to live for x