Scared

Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

My friend who is an alcoholic that says she has tried everything to quit is increasing morbid in talks with me when she has been drinking. Commom statements include: please take care of my dogs when I am gone and tell my daughter that I faught very hard and that I love her. I then ask her if she would hurt herself and she says no, but that she is at the end of her rope.

I don't her these thoughts when she is sober, but am scared out of my mind that there is some truth in her words as she considers herself a failure.

I know that I have no control over any of this, but am still frightened to death.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Faithhope. I don't have direct experience w/this sort of thing, but I've read similar posts here. One of the things people have suggested is calling 911 when a friend or family member talks this way. If the person talking about suicide IS serious about it, then they definitely need emergency help, and calling 911 is appropriate. If the person talking in a suicidal way is just creating drama, then having emergency personnel show up, the subsequent trip to the ER, and the bills for the service will often be a discouragement to them ever doing this again.

You might consider something like this, and perhaps tell your friend "if you talk like this around me, this is the action I'm going to take." Then if she goes ahead and talks like that in your presence, CALL 911.

I'm sure you'll get replies from others who do have firsthand experience, too.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the excellent suggestion!