Notices

well.. geeze... just ONE....

Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

well.. geeze... just ONE....

So last night I attended an event at a local brewery. It was a children's event, so no big deal. They had root beer and water so easy enough.

Yet a few times I found that old nagging sense of "I'm missing out". "Geeze, surely I could have 'just ONE from time to time'....".

I remember thinking that before too. After 6 months of sobriety. Well, ALMOST six months. And then deciding I had it under control. And there WERE several 'just one's'. And there WERE several events where I just had a good time and didn't have more than a few like 'normal' people.

But in a short time there were also "Just a COUPLE" secretly before going out to the event. And several "Just TONIGHT's" stopping off at the liquor store on the way home and many "Just because I'm STRESSED" and a number of "WAYYYY TOO MANY's" and a lot of "Waking up hungover and feeling like crap's" and a lot of "I'm too tired and sick to go to the gym's" and a lot of "didn't get things done because I sat around drinking alone instead's".

All of that because of the "Just ONE".....

None of those things ever happened when I didn't have "Even ONE"....

huh. Funny thing, that.

So last night I had just ONE.... Cherry soda. And I had a really nice time. And I feel great today.

here's to staying sober.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good thoughts to ponder Owl.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So true; JUST ONE simply does not work.

Great post.

Go soberly.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Too true!

Your post really resonates with me (and I'm sure many others!).

Congratulations on staying strong and true.

B.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
a bit out there

Thanks for the post! It wasn't what I was expecting. It sounds very similar to my situation several years ago. I had a few months sobriety, and spent a few weeks teasing myself with just one (or two) every few days. It wasn't enjoyable or refreshing; it was me trying to convince myself I could handle it. In the end it turned out to be slow torture.

A single drink, for me, is like walking into a restaurant and ordering one onion ring. It's actually much more aggravating than that, but that's what I've been telling people as of late.

It all started with just one, and progressed from there.

Be well.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hiddenzebra View Post
It wasn't enjoyable or refreshing; it was me trying to convince myself I could handle it. In the end it turned out to be slow torture.
Exactly!!! When I look at it honestly, those times I was giving myself "evidence" that I could do it.... secretly I was sort of annoyed inside and not enjoying it and wondering "what the hell is the POINT of just one or two???"