Notices

Are you willing to go to any length?

Old 03-23-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Are you willing to go to any length?

Any length? Any length at all to get and stay sober? Yes, today i am willing to go to any length to stay sober. I went to a very moving church service this morning. I realized that I have not truely been willing to shun the av when it rings in my ear. That I have fallen weak and gave into temptation too many times. for too many stupid reasons. I feel amazing today! I have discovered "that" feeling where I will go to any length to live a sober life. ANY LENGTH!
I feel supercharged! WOW!!! Its amazing!
Old 03-23-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Been a lot of 24 hours I need to be reminded of what I went thru
Old 03-23-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not willing to go to any length. For example, if a sponsor told me to run back and forth across a busy 8 lane freeway to prove I was willing to go to any length, I wouldn't do it. If a sponsor told me to get down on my knees in a busy restaurant and ask God for help (something I heard an AA speaker claim his sponsor had him do), I wouldn't do it.

However, I am willing to go to great lengths; I am willing to work hard; I am willing to make significant changes in my life in order to stay sober. But any length No way.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, I agree with your statement Feen, however I am willing to go to farther lengths than I have in the past. I am willing to step out of my comfort zone. I am willing to share my story with more people face to face, as it might help them. I am willing to pick up the phone and call someone if the urge to drink comes over me. I am willing to admit weakness, and ask for help. I am willing to go to more meetings and I am willing to put my differences aside. I am willing to get honest with myself. I am willing to look for a better fitting sponsor. I am willing to look at root causes of problems and deal with them head on.

I am not willing to use alcohol as an escape and longer. I am not willing to risk my life for a couple hours of black out and awful withdrawls the next day. I am not willing to put my sobriety on the line for the sake of anything.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are many things we can do to remain sober OTRP. But I believe the first step is to be honest with ourselves about our alcoholism and then make significant changes in our lives. It appears to you are on the right path and willing to work or and make those changes.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm willing to pray morning /nite read my aa book daily make my meeting weekly pick up the phone before I think about picking up a drink and willing to be honest with myself ,, the truth is I've lost the right to drink alcohol
Old 03-23-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No, not any length.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you feel so enthusiastic about your recovery.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Ontherightpath, I'm glad you're feeling inspired -- you will have down days and so it's really important to celebrate feeling inspired and "supercharged"!

I think it's a really interesting question, for anyone who answers "no." Aside from ridiculous scenarios like walking into traffic, where there's no possible connection to staying sober, I wonder what someone on SR means when they answer "no." Why not? Do you think you're not worth it? Do you think your problem's not important or serious? Do you think that you're unique and nothing can help you? It sounds like giving up before you start.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Ontherightpath, I'm glad you're feeling inspired -- you will have down days and so it's really important to celebrate feeling inspired and "supercharged"!

I think it's a really interesting question, for anyone who answers "no." Aside from ridiculous scenarios like walking into traffic, where there's no possible connection to staying sober, I wonder what someone on SR means when they answer "no." Why not? Do you think you're not worth it? Do you think your problem's not important or serious? Do you think that you're unique and nothing can help you? It sounds like giving up before you start.
I'm unique, we are all unique. And of course I take my problem seriously, but I'm not willing to be another human being's slave in order to get sober.

As for ridiculous scenarios, you may want to do a thorough Google search on the issue of bad sponsors and willingness. You will find that many sponsors ask their sponsees to do all manner of nonsense to prove their "willingness". Here's an example from this site: a sponsor wanted his sponsee to consult him before the sponsee made any decision, and the sponsor wanted this person to leave his children at home so he could attend meetings. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...going-mad.html

The unfortunate phrase "willing to go to any lengths" has been misinterpreted and abused by many sponsors over the years.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm sorry for those who've had bad experiences with sponsors, and I know that it happens. But I think the "slave" argument is a case of reductio ad absurdum. From my experience in AA, I've seen nothing in the program that suggests a sponsee should be a sponsor's slave. It's always been clear from what little I've read that both people in the sponsor-sponsee relationship are imperfect alcoholics. I think if the sponsee finds the sponsor's suggestions are not working, they should consider talking it through first, and seeking counsel from others in the program (or on SR, as I have often done) and then maybe consider a different or a second sponsor. That's just acting on principles not people.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If the choice is drinking or something else I will do the something else every time.

Where things get interesting is when you are faced with decisions like, "Do I go to my son's wedding reception where booze will be flowing?""
Old 03-23-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ok, valid points... no im not running down the freeway, playing frogger!! I wouldnt jump off of a cliff, nor am i doing anything that would hurt me or put me in danger. I dont know why some sponsors request that silliness, however Drinking was the equivalent to all of these in rhetrospect. drinking was killing me. slowly, but surely. And a sober mind realizes that. But when we are caught in the trenches of our addiction, we refuse to be rational.

My point in this, I am willing to ride out the cravings, to get uncomfortable in situations and to reach out in ways i havent in the past. I feel secure in saying that. I feel secure in acting that out. I feel secure for the moment. I know it wont always be that way. But I am making progress daily and for that i am so entirely grateful!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
p***enger

Right on, ontheright!