Notices

Question...

Old 03-23-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question...

Hi there everybody,
This my first post. I just joined and have doing a lot of reading.

One of the things I read here is that it's not a good idea to count days. Why not?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you can count days if you like. I'd recommend directing concern at the day in front of you much more than the days behind or after, and after awhile you just don't count up sober days because there are so many (e.g., I am on day 271, but I only know that because I calculated it yesterday out of curiosity; I don't "X" off days on a calendar or anything like that).

But if counting things is your pleasure, like, if you were The Count from Sesame Street, for example, you could sure count up the days if you wanted to, I don't think it would be an obstacle preventing success.

"ONE day vithout drinking! TWO DAYS . . vithout drinking! THREE! THREE DAYS! VITHOUT DRINKING! NYA NYA NYA!!!"
Old 03-23-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

If it's a good idea for you, if it gives you a feeling of achievement, if it removes the scary feeling of quitting for good, then have at it. We are all different, and if it works for you, then do it. No one should tell you that you are wrong and sober.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think we all approach this differently. On my first day here, someone pointed out the value of just committing to one day at a time and it strongly resonated with me. There is a 24-hour thread posted every day where you just log in every day. Best wishes, welcome to the board.