Notices

Day 62 - Uncharted Territory

Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 62 - Uncharted Territory

Today is day 62 since I last had a drink. It is significant for me since it's the longest my body/mind/soul have gone without alcohol since I was 17 years old. (I'm 46 years old now). Since age 17, I always had been a heavy drinker. It's amazing that I never even gave myself a chance to physically, emotionally or intellectually become an adult before I started bombarding myself with alcohol, and did so for almost 30 years..

These past 62 days haven't always been easy, but so far my plan is working. I've been playing (and replaying) Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Control Alcohol" audiobook often, as well as practicing AVRT and reading/posting in SR.

My health is better. I've been eating relatively well and exercising. I'm more attentive and present for my wife and kids, and overall life is better! Bottom line is I'm finding every day may not be great, but every morning I wake up now, the day has the potential to be awesome!! During my hangover days, my day already sucked the second I woke up!! Not fun!

For those who are even newer to sobriety than I am, please realize it does get better and easier with the passing of time! But it does require some work and is worth it!

Thanks SR for listening and always being there!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey betterlife ,

In some ways it's uncharted territory , in another way it's 24hrs to get through and deal with just like the other 61 ..

Keep on

Bestwishes, m
Old 03-23-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 62 days and thanks for your post. This is hard work and I've had my doubts sometimes whether I'd ever feel normal again ( whatever normal is. I'd also been drinking heavily since high school). But the further I go into my sobriety I wonder how I could have endured waking up with a hangover day after day. I am relatively free of cravings today which would be unbelievable if you told me that was possible 6 months ago. Not that it's always easy and there are big tests ahead but as you say it is worth it. Keep strong!