Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Not so much about addiction..however, dealing with frustration from other addicts.

Notices

Not so much about addiction..however, dealing with frustration from other addicts.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'll get to it. I am venting / asking for advice on here because I have seen / received some of the best advice on this forum.

This does not have so much to do with alcohol as it does family.

I have a 49 year old uncle who married a woman 16 years younger than him. This woman is someone I went to high school with, older than me, however. I never really cared for her then or now. My uncle and her are both functioning alcoholics. They go out all the time, spend money like it's going out of style, however, when it comes to pay the bill, or pay their debts, they are broke and need "God through the kindness and generosity in others." (yeah....I know.)
They have borrowed 10s of thousands of dollars from my grandparents / uncle's parents (who are very well off). My uncle makes good money, she does too, it's just ... where does it go?? Why are they always struggling? Well, there is always excuses. I suppose there always is with some addicts.

Well, cutting to the chase...
The other day I heard that she said "When (___) and (___) go / die, we're going to be set!" O.o ....I started shaking. I was so angry. I wanted to tackle her. She doesn't know that I heard this. I know that my grandparents have it set in their will so that all 3 of their kids, my Mom, Uncle, and other Uncle get a pretty handsome amount of money. I can't get this off of my mind. It's consuming my brain. I told my mom and she just said "they're poor excuses for human beings."

I know there is nothing I can do about this. But, imagine the mean girl / popular girl in your school entering your family, causing drama, and now is apparently counting down the days till your grandparents die and leave them money.

Advice??? Help??? I'm so frustrated.

Thanks, guys.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The money is your grandparents to do with whatever they choose.

My suggestion is to stay away from toxic people whether or not they are family members. Think enough of yourself to stay away from toxic people.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

What Anna said.

Things could be worse. You could be your uncle's wife.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. That's what my mother said. Grandparents want to be fair with all three of their kids. And you're right. I need to stay away from them. It would kill me to stand by and watch them perform.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, Anna nailed it. It's a hard place to get to, but get there you must.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Avoid people like that, whether or not they're relatives. You don't need that influence and environment in your life.