Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Not sure if I screwed up or not, but I think I did the right thing...

Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When I threw AH out on Weds night, he asked for his anxiety meds and I didn't give it to him. But I told him to go to the local hospital and check into the Pysch ward and get a script from them.

AH came back this morning. I told him he needed to leave and go to the hospital. AH told me that the car he took (my car -fully owned by myself) was stolen this morning at 2am. He walked home from the north end of the city and ended up at the house at 8ish. So first thoughts were 1.) the car is in my name 2.) under my insurance, if some one gets hurt or hit with my car I can be liable I need to get a report in ASAP. So I grabbed his meds, locked the house up tight and made him take them. I then tried to get as much information as possible out of him so that I could I could file a police report. I then took him to the substation (turns out I went to the wrong one) had to go to another one (still the wrong one) and someone had pity on me and took the report. I got a copy to send the insurance company.

I told him he needs to go the PSYCH ward. He can't come in the house. He agreed and checked himself in. He's there now I saw him check himself in.

I felt like I shouldn't have talked to him but I felt I should have tried to get the info about the car for the report. I also feel like I should not have taken him to the PSYCH ward and watched him check in, but I wanted to be sure that they admitted him, knowing that it was the weekend and no doctor on regular hours means he won't get out till early next week. I felt that bought me a few more days of peace so I can plan and not be scared he was just going to show up as I making all my plans.

I am going to lunch with the girls today. I need a break...
Old 03-22-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You didn't screw up...you did these things to protect yourself and that is the right things to do!

What he does after the psych ward is his business. You are in the process of protecting yourself and there is no screwing that up!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I don't think you screwed up either, you were protecting yourself and did the right thing to report the car stolen. I suspect there will be more to that story unfold, but for now you have protected yourself from liability.

Taking care of yourself is important. Whether he stays or doesn't stay at the hospital is on him and his problem if he leaves.

You can only do what you can do, the rest is up to God and him.

Hugs
Old 03-22-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

not sure what else you could do hon! if he has mental health issues than a hospital is a good place. as for your car.......perhaps it was stolen, or perhaps he traded it for drugs.....that's just my snarky suspicious mind at play. you filed a report, contacted your insurance company, all very good.

does he have keys to the house? is a change of the locks in order? you should feel safe in your own home.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
not sure what else you could do hon! if he has mental health issues than a hospital is a good place. as for your car.......perhaps it was stolen, or perhaps he traded it for drugs.....that's just my snarky suspicious mind at play. you filed a report, contacted your insurance company, all very good.

does he have keys to the house? is a change of the locks in order? you should feel safe in your own home.
Thanks everyone! I changed the locks the day I kicked him out. I am extra glad I did because the "car thiefs" have my registration with my address on it. Super scary...my brother is on his way to stay with me for a few days...that is a relief.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you really believe the car was stolen? Or that he did something to it/with it and is lying?