Notices

Back again

Old 03-20-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Back again

Hi guys
I'm here again to give it another go. Hopefully I get it right this time. This killer headache sure is a good motivator to get sober...I could do without a hangover headache every morning.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mish
I think a good plan is better than hoping

what do you think bought you back to drinking?

D
Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Mish
I think a good plan is better than hoping

what do you think bought you back to drinking?

D
I guess I just didn't have a real plan. I drink ALOT and even in the mornings when I get out of bed...but I never have any really scary withdrawals...don't get me wrong I get the old anxiety and shakiness but none of the really frightening things like DT's etc... That's probably another reason it's so easy to relapse. I convince myself I don't have a drinking problem if I'm not getting DT's etc during my withdrawal. Telling myself I don't have a drinking problem is completely ridiculous given I'm such a heavy drinker.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

A good plan is very wise. If you don't have anything to stop you from going back, it just keeps getting uglier. Create a solid timeline for your days ahead and find things to occupy the boring/down time.

You can be successful at sobriety, just have to put in a little work for it. Best Wishes!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
I guess I just didn't have a real plan. I drink ALOT and even in the mornings when I get out of bed...but I never have any really scary withdrawals...don't get me wrong I get the old anxiety and shakiness but none of the really frightening things like DT's etc... That's probably another reason it's so easy to relapse. I convince myself I don't have a drinking problem if I'm not getting DT's etc during my withdrawal. Telling myself I don't have a drinking problem is completely ridiculous given I'm such a heavy drinker.
Welcome to SR. I think we can all come up with why we aren't an alcoholic. There is always something or someone worse off. Only you know how you feel. You'll get a lot of support here.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Hi guys
I'm here again to give it another go. Hopefully I get it right this time. This killer headache sure is a good motivator to get sober...I could do without a hangover headache every morning.
I hope you can get it this time. Wish you the best.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting here everyday was a good way for me to counter those thoughts. It's hard to argue when you see in black and white that you really are that bad.

Some face to face support - whether it be AA or some other group, or counselling or seeing your Dr - may also help with accepting you really do have a problem..

I get the old anxiety and shakiness but none of the really frightening things like DT's etc... That's probably another reason it's so easy to relapse. I convince myself I don't have a drinking problem if I'm not getting DT's etc during my withdrawal. Telling myself I don't have a drinking problem is completely ridiculous given I'm such a heavy drinker.
If you do drink on, the chances are you'll experience all those things - the worst thing you could then is rationalise those things away, like you're doing now.

The sooner you decide to quit the better off you'll be

D