Notices

I took a big step!

Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up I took a big step!

Hey all,

Well yesterday I went down to human resources and told them I have a substance abuse problem and wished to seek help. I was given FMLA paperwork and short term disability paperwork and told I can not return to work until I complete a program. So I made the phone calls and am on a waiting list to get into detox. I'm nervous, but the anxiety from not drinking is too intense. I'm 29 and have a 1 year old and don't want her to know me as just being drunk all the time.

That being said I have great support from my family (my mother is now 7 years sober), friends and my girlfriend. My concern is finally going back to work. I'm a manager and don't know what kind of response ill get going back. I worry that taking this time off will make them start finding a reason to get rid of me.

Has anyone gone down this road before with telling their employer they have a problem. They said they were proud I took initiative, but I know from being in management that an employee is only good to you when they are there.

I've been drinking heavily for 10 years now and I am up to 20+ beers on a day off and 5-7 after work. I can't go more than 12 hours without a drink before my anxiety turns into panic attack level. I'm going to continue to drink until a bed opens up in detox.

I look forward to support, and also a new life.

Thank you,

Dan
Old 03-20-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, those are HUGE steps. Way to look after your yourself and your daughter! And welcome to the board. :-)
Old 03-20-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I am currently in treatment and it's the best decision I could have made. Good on you for reaching out for help! I'm self-employed but many of the people in treatment with me are in your situation. I wish I could be of more help but just want to wish you luck!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thats great Dan, they were supportive with me, I worked for the NHS in the UK, dont know where you live but generally they are duty bound to be understanding as it is classed as an illness nowadays. You were honest and I think they appreciated that. Good luck to you, you wont regret it, it must have taken a lot of guts, heres to a bright sober future x
Old 03-20-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was a very brave step you did there, you should be very proud of yourself. I hope you can get into a detox soon.

This site is a great resource, there are so many like minded people here. You might find it helps if you stick around. Really pleased your family are supportive too.

All the best
Old 03-20-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish you the best on your sober journey. Welcome to the site!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm scared cause I have no hobbies except drinking....
Old 03-20-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Dan, your bravery and clarity is an inspiration. Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by danimal84 View Post
Haha -- you have a kid and you will soon WISH you had time for hobbies!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Today

It's ok, neither do I. In fact, the first therapist I met with to give me the referral to treatment asked me what I like to do for fun. I was like ummm ????? Take a wild guess....lol She said, oh, ok, drink. :~p

I'm just focusing on recovery more right now, but am trying new things. Took the kids rollerskating on Sunday which I have not done since I was a child. First sober fun that I've had in decades. You will find things to do.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Holli View Post
Haha -- you have a kid and you will soon WISH you had time for hobbies!!!
Lol you're right! Right now I feel like a horrible father cause I lack motivation to leave the house when Im the only one home with her. I hope my motivation comes back when I kick this habbit.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenEggsAndHam View Post
It's ok, neither do I. In fact, the first therapist I met with to give me the referral to treatment asked me what I like to do for fun. I was like ummm ????? Take a wild guess....lol She said, oh, ok, drink. :~p

I'm just focusing on recovery more right now, but am trying new things. Took the kids rollerskating on Sunday which I have not done since I was a child. First sober fun that I've had in decades. You will find things to do.
Did you do inpatient or outpatient rehab? Part of me wants inpatient, but I see they're 28 days or more.....I don't want to be away from daughter that long.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Did you do inpatient or outpatient rehab? Part of me wants inpatient, but I see they're 28 days or more.....I don't want to be away from daughter that long.
I wanted to do inpatient but I have two young kids with no one to care for them before or after school, plus I own a business that I can't close. I work evenings (goofing off now!) and go to treatment five days a week for five weeks. I have one more week before I graduate.

eta: In full disclosure, I had one relapse the weekend after I started. If I were in inpatient I would not have relapsed but I was able to come back from a 3 day bender and they didn't kick me out, thank goodness!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenEggsAndHam View Post
I wanted to do inpatient but I have two young kids with no one to care for them before or after school, plus I own a business that I can't close. I work evenings (goofing off now!) and go to treatment five days a week for five weeks. I have one more week before I graduate.

eta: In full disclosure, I had one relapse the weekend after I started. If I were in inpatient I would not have relapsed but I was able to come back from a 3 day bender and they didn't kick me out, thank goodness!
I don't think I can go back to work with just detoxing, they said I have to complete a program so I think that means some sort of rehab. Which isn't bad, work was a big reason I drink. I work nights 4pm-4am so often I was drinking out of boredom cause lets be honest options are limited at 430 am
Old 03-20-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you Dan - that's great news. I felt so much better when I outed myself - everyone knew I was struggling, but everyone was afraid to confront me. You'll be so glad to be free of it.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Proud of you Dan - that's great news. I felt so much better when I outed myself - everyone knew I was struggling, but everyone was afraid to confront me. You'll be so glad to be free of it.
The weight of my shoulders was great once I told my employer. I felt great, a lot of people know I drink a lot, but thought I could handle it.....and I could for 10 years. Now I can't!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good for you Dan. It's a wide open world out there and there will be many great things for you to do once you are able to get off of alcohol. Congratulations on your decision, and your courage. Good luck with it and let us know how things are going as you get through your program.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Your HR department should be keeping everything confidential, so you can tell your co-workers that you just have a medical condition that needs some time off to be treated.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

That was a very brave thing you did. I respect your courage.

I'm a boss at work and when I crashed and burned due to alcohol I happened to be on vacation. My 9 or 10 day bender, followed by a 3 day hospitalization for detox happened on "my time" so the office didn't know. I'm lucky in that regard. During my bender I know I went out for more alcohol, and I'm also very lucky I never caused any harm or got a DUI.

I'm glad those days are behind me. I hope they will soon be behind you too.