Self-destructive behavior of an active A, and court

Old 03-20-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stoic

Self-destructive behavior of an active A, and court

I haven’t updated much here, as I didn’t want the extremely off-chance of things getting to my AW before her court date today…but the short story is that she filed to regain custody of the children after completing the court-mandated 10 week outpatient program that the court said would need to be done before they would allow her to file to change the custody order. (The previous time she tried this, she didn’t even show up in court)

The thing is, she wasn’t, and still isn’t, sober throughout the entire time. I know it, the Guardian ad Litem (court appointed lawyer for the kids) knows it, but the outpatient facility she goes to for a class ONCE A WEEK doesn’t know it. One class a week for an hour at a time, for ten weeks, and now this facility is claiming that she is completely sober. It’s a joke.

I don’t live near her, so it’s very difficult to “prove” that she isn’t who she is trying to portray herself to the rest of the world…but we did.
Via her phone records, some things she’s done online, and the Guardian ad Litem subpoenaed her interlock device records (my idea!) that she has from her Sep 2013 DUI…it paints a clear picture of continued alcohol abuse, and being caught in lies to officials regarding her sobriety. When I read the report the Guardian ad Litem submitted for today’s court date, I literally whooped and hollered because it was so vindicating seeing my AW’s real activities put to paper in an official capacity…instead of the complete bs line of sobriety that she tries to feed to the world.

I woke up this morning feeling anxious, nervous for the court date. I know it will be a slam dunk due to the evidence, but of course there’s always the unknown to worry about. I saw that I’d received a voicemail in the night while sleeping…it was AW. It was a 2 minute long rant (I think!), she was completely smashed, I could understand maybe 5% of what she was saying…talking slowly, slurring to the point of being unintelligible. Something about court, something about regret. I really don’t know, even after listening to it three times.

Hmmm, I thought. The night before court, and she gets this wasted? I checked her phone records to see what else she was up to last night. Whoa…at 2 in the morning, she called our insurance company Roadside Assistance number…then at 2:30, some number that comes up as a towing company called her.

Have you seen the movie Flight? I bet most of us have. I realized…she just pulled a Denzel Washington. In the end of the movie, Denzel’s character had the chance to fix everything…all he had to do was remain sober for one night before his court of inquiry. He doesn’t...his alcoholism takes over and he ruins his chance. That’s exactly what my wife did last night! Any normal person going to court to determine their sobriety and fitness as a parent would absolutely NOT drink and get completely blitzed only 8 hours before their court time.

I’d bet dollars to donuts she isn’t even going to show up at court, just like last time. If she does, she’s going to be a wreck. I’ll update this when court is over. (I won’t be attending court due to distance, but the Guardian will let me know what happens)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What an update! GOOD LUCK today, I can't wait to hear how it all goes down in court. It sounds like you have had amazing support from your GAL, what a blessing!!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bring your attorney the voicemail. And good luck. I hope you get a judge who knows addiction.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Stoic

Went as expected, the court found "there wasn't enough evidence from wife to demonstrate her situation has changed to grant custody or lift the protective order"...then said she has ten days to file an appeal in circuit court if she chooses.
The seemingly never-ending battle to protect my kids from her addiction goes on. :/
Old 03-20-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOVE your update! I would give anything to have a NON-FUNCTIONING alcoholic to deal with. You've got this slam dunked!!!

Sue