Notices

Yoga in recovery

Old 03-19-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yoga in recovery

I overcame a huge hurdle tonight and I'm feeling so proud and such good energy I almost want to cry haha. I've practised yoga by myself for years and always wanted to go to a class. Anxiety from my addictions has kept me from doing that. Some days it got so bad that I wouldn't even go to the grocery store... I felt so ashamed and so much anxiety (I felt like people could see right they me) that I wouldn't want to be out in public or talk to anyone.

I went to my first yoga class today. It was hot yoga and It felt amazing. I have two weeks sober today, and I'm sick of being stuck in the cycle of addiction. My anxiety has subsided, and I am sick of being by myself. I am sick of choosing to soothe my loneliness with substances, only to feel even more alone the next day. I am sick of complaining about how much I hate my life, when I have a beautiful life.

I am choosing to try new things. To choose things that will bring me joy. Things that don't revolve around "going for drinks" or "doing some rails". I am choosing to meet new people and treat my mind and body better, and today was a big step in the right direction. Just wanted to share that, thanks for reading and Namaste : )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-2490637439.jpg (60.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg
image-287493461.jpg (58.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-19-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi zoey09,
Just wanted to congratulate you on attending your yoga class. I hope you will keep going back. I have said many times here on SR how my yoga practice is the cornerstone of my sobriety. I attend a class 4-5 times a week. The practice itself, my wonderful teacher, and my fellow yogis keep me grounded. I've learned to accept and forgive myself. It's lovely being around people who truly care about their health.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

zoey- as LDT touched on, yoga is all about being present and listening to your body in each moment. the mind/body connection it evokes can be very powerful, especially when we are suffering. it seems like no matter where i am in my life or what kind of day i am having, i am always able to take something positive and meaningful from my practice.

i am SO glad your first yoga experience was a good one (sometimes the studio or style are a bad fit and it keeps people from coming back). i hope it encourages you to keep going to classes as you continue your self-awareness and self-improvement journey

namaste!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is a huge step, Zoey. I know how debilitating anxiety can be and it takes a lot of courage to start on a new path. Best of luck with your yoga practice!