Cortisone for my Soul

Old 03-18-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cortisone for my Soul

Had an injection today. Been dealing with a low back/hip issue that doc and I believe radiates down to my knee, which we believe is what's limiting my running. (Please be the case!)

It's been a problem for a year. Delayed self care, anyone? Anyway, I got a cortisone injection to settle the inflammation so physical therapy can do its job.

The lidocaine in it had an IMMEDIATE effect. This afternoon with the pain gone, I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I had NOT been in any physical pain. I didn't realize it was constant. It wasn't horrible, but it was holding me back every day. I've really been missing out. It is so freeing!

And then I remembered the feeling when my AXH left. It was similar relief and recognition that I couldn't remember the last time I'd felt peace at home...and I didn't even fully realize it had been missing. And once I got a taste I could see that my soul needed something I'd been starving it of.

My knee isn't fixed.
My soul isn't either.

But I'm gonna keep working on both.
Hugs to all.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"It's going to get worse before it gets better."

Met with PT this morning who told me I spent years in a certain position to subconsciously avoid the pain... and that I had to decide to consciously make the change. She told me to avoid sinking back into what feels comfortable, that the pain means I'm doing the right thing, and that.. while it will feel a lot worse at first, if I can power through it I will feel a lot better and wonder how I ever lived that way. And I can't get there if I don't do the work.

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Well, at least my physical and psychological selves have been in sync, even if they aren't so bright...
Old 03-21-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's brilliant!!!
This afternoon with the pain gone, I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I had NOT been in any physical pain. I didn't realize it was constant. It wasn't horrible, but it was holding me back every day. I've really been missing out. It is so freeing!
I'm having a similar experience. Coworkers have been telling me "you look so rested!" and the reason? I don't have my face all wrinkled up in pain. I remember the same thing happening after I left AXH.

Thank you for the injection of positivity, Praying!!! Onwards and upwards with our slightly weather-worn bodies and souls!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, Praying, what a great post! I can relate. I've limped around b/c of various running injuries, and found that yes, I do often continue the limp or gimp or drag or tiptoe or whatever the abnormality is LOOOONG after the problem has pretty much resolved, just b/c I got used to it. It felt normal now.

I love the analogy that we do the same thing in other areas of our lives for the same sort of reasons. The entirely stupid fight that I started b/c I wasn't able to respond in a new and healthier way to my A when he was having problems w/the computer the other night is evidence that I'm still favoring one leg...

Time to start walking straight and even on both feet!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful!!! Keep marching (or in your case running lol) forward my friend!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi...I went quiet for a bit but I'll post an update later. I wanted to add to my PT post, because I think that woman is Yoda. More quotes from her over the last two months that I jotted down:

"A few weeks ago you came in a total mess, wanting just a little relief. Once you got a glimpse of no pain you wanted more- but all at once. If you want it, it will come, but it's gonna take time and more work. You know this."

"Take a minute and rejoice for what you've accomplished! Stop setting the bar higher and judging yourself for just a minute."

"So you had a setback. You're just not ready. Stick to your program and try again next week. It's not over because you failed today."

"Now you have the tools. And you know that if you get set back, it's not the end of the world. Buckle down, slow down, give yourself a breather and try again. You know what to do and you know you can do it."

I went from not being able to see how I'd EVER get to run again, to just finishing my fourth 3.5 mile run this week. I NEEDED this for the endorphins... (she had no idea what was riding on her shoulders lol)

It was interesting because it ran so parallel to my emotional self. I had some major lows through that time, and I'd smirk when she'd speak, because I thought... Yep, I need that advice all the way around!

If I can RUN again... which seemed so incredibly impossible... we can all climb those seemingly impossible emotional/relationship mountains as well... but only if we forgive ourselves, rejoice in our accomplishments, stick to our programs, and give it time.

Happy Friday!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"So you had a setback. You're just not ready. Stick to your program and try again next week. It's not over because you failed today."

THIS!^^^^

or as Yogi Berra said: It ain't over til it's OVER.

I love this....just get up and keep moving. left right repeat.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I need you to keep posting these updates.

Know what? I had a cortisone injection in a bursa on my hip. Spent 9 months being told by doctors it was probably sciatica. I believed them. I did PT. Nothing helped. So finally, when the doctors and PT I was seeing weren't helping, I found a new doctor.

There's some learning in that, too. I do tend to spend too long staying in a painful state before realizing I'm not doing what I need to be doing, and move on.

Next step for me: Find a new job.

Thanks again for relaying Yoda's wisdom!!!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I need you to keep posting these updates.

Know what? I had a cortisone injection in a bursa on my hip. Spent 9 months being told by doctors it was probably sciatica. I believed them. I did PT. Nothing helped. So finally, when the doctors and PT I was seeing weren't helping, I found a new doctor.

There's some learning in that, too. I do tend to spend too long staying in a painful state before realizing I'm not doing what I need to be doing, and move on.

Next step for me: Find a new job.

Thanks again for relaying Yoda's wisdom!!!
This is totally off topic, but I am so glad that I'm not the only one with hip issues! I went to a doc last year who told me it was tight because of past injuries or perhaps early arthritis. I still live with daily pain and try to push myself through running, yoga, the gym, etc. You've just given me incentive to try another doctor and deal with this issue all over again! Thx!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've had bad knees since like forever...each subluxated once in my youth, with a second sublux on the left knee. that has to be one of the most sudden painful experiences ever...as your knee twists apart and then slams back together and the nanosecond the knee splits, you DROP.

my knees always hurt, somedays more than others. this limits the kinds of exercise I can do...I cannot do squats or lunges, or side to side jumping movements.....stairs just tear my knees up, you can feel the cartilage pop and strain if I just extend my lower leg and then draw it back.

they've all told me, the physicians, sports clinicians and chiropractors that there just isn't anything they can do.

all that goes to say, I can only imagine the RELIEF you felt....to have that all-day every-day nagging pain suddenly STOP.

that happens with emotional pain and trauma too......kind of like taking an aspirin for a headache.....you just realize it's suddenly gone.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I imagine we all have a love-hate relationship with PT, but we stuck with it because we trusted we'd be better at the end than we started. Personally, I've learned that if it hurts, it means I'm doing it right. And that's probably a lesson I can apply to nearly any situation ('cause change is HARD, ya know?)
Old 06-20-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Liza -- try a sports medicine doc. That's what I did. He did X-rays and the whole shebang, but even before seeing them, he had diagnosed me correctly.

Apparently, women's hips and knees are a big money-maker for him...
Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Liza -- try a sports medicine doc. That's what I did. He did X-rays and the whole shebang, but even before seeing them, he had diagnosed me correctly.

Apparently, women's hips and knees are a big money-maker for him...
LOL! Yeah, well, I'm already in PT for my tennis elbow and frozen shoulder right now so I'm trying not to overdo it. Honestly, the PT (who is a trainer who works with lots of professional athletes in tennis and baseball) told me that it might be time for a cortisone shot because I've not progressed after 6 weeks of PT. I'm discouraged because I can't even do yoga, let alone play tennis.

I was hoping to deal with my hip after I got my elbow squared away!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I recently took ds14 to a sports medicine therapist. He was worried he would have to stop hiking with his 50 lb. Pack. Nope. Back pain all due to poor posture, slouching at school. It has given me courage to try PT again. I've had chronic hip pain for 15 years. Last year I did nerve stimuli ---- something. Was sadistic pain ful. Six months the pain was back.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Do you make conscious choices to protect and love yourself? To continue the mind/body connection thread:

I played competitive softball for twenty years. I've played coed rec league for the last 10 years for pure fun, not competition.

This week, winning by 15 runs (so not a close game), someone threw the ball to me...and it crossed the runner's path. I didn't choose to follow it. My instincts kicked in, it was NOT A CONSCIOUS CHOICE. I dove in, caught that ball, got knocked over by the 200+ pound freight train running at me full speed. I saw stars, hit the ground and tumbled, and while everyone was gasping (they said the noise was horrendous), I slowly got to my knees and held up my glove to make sure the ump knew I still had the ball. He was out. I win.

Now, today I can't see straight. Dizzy, headache, concussion. Every muscle hurts, I'm in pain, can't work (brain doesn't think well), shouldn't be typing here.

Here's the funny part. I was thinking it's an awful lot like life with or contact with an A. If we stop to think about what's coming next, we won't do it. We don't want to hurt for days. But we don't think about the aftermath of ourselves. We think--I can save the world, I can do this... see, I even held on through it all!!! And we dive right back in as soon as we have the chance. Meanwhile, everyone is staring in disbelief and worried for us, wishing we could focus on what the fallout would be. What do we accomplish when we allow our instincts to take over without always consciously putting ourselves first and MAKING A CHOICE? We've been trained to sacrifice ourselves in the hopes of influencing a greater outcome...which may or may not happen.

Worked when I was 18. I could bounce back really fast. Doesn't work now. I need to continually retrain and fight that instinct.

Here's the kicker...given the chance, feeling how I feel tonight, I might still do the same thing again. Because I know I can do it, because I want to prove it to everyone else, because I am not always smart. Recognizing that, admitting it, and retraining is a continual process.

Here's to getting wiser and making positive choices for ourselves!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Pia

How encouraging
Old 06-26-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Great analogy. I hope you are feeling better. I just hate freight trains. I got hit by own this week by my own doing too and I am still trying to cover. Oh, what a pair we are.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Haha, yes, yes we are. I'm sorry to admit that I'll take my physical toll over your emotional one this week. I am feeling better though. Hope you are too, my friend!