Notices

Conflicted

Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Conflicted

Today is day 55 sober for me; and while I'm trying my best to practice a program of recovery I'm also married to an alcoholic. I'm finding it difficult to deal with my own issues and stay focused and deal with my husband's, I'm trying to show him the patience love and tolerance I read about in the big book; it's just to much sometimes; I'm thinking about separation. Although I'm not sure if this is the best decision; help!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Congratulations on 55 days sober! That seems like a very difficult situation.

Does your husband want to stop drinking? If not, then I guess you can only focus on your own recovery and allow him to choose if and when he wants to stop drinking.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 55 days!

I can imagine how hard that is for you with his drinking. I struggle to be around it at all so I'm not surprised you feel the way you do.

Your own sobriety is the most important thing right now. I hope your husband may decide to stop drinking too.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mygirl. Congrats on 51 days with an alcoholic husband. I couldn't do it. I had to leave my husband. It hurt (still huts too) like heck, but I had no choice. I had to fix myself. I could not remain sober and stick to my program. As of right now, he continues to drink daily and goes through easily 5 gallons of whiskey a weekend between him and his new live in girlfriends (yes there are more than one now) That is his side of the street and I stay very far away from it. It is the path he has chosen and I am not responsible for it and I do not control it. I pray that you find a way to work through it. It's going to be very hard for you. And I will be keeping you in my thoughts. Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Wishing you all the best.