Notices

New here and new to recovery

Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and new to recovery

Hello all. About to turn 34 and have been drinking heavily every other day to deal with stress. Doctor told me to quit because of high tryglicerides a year or so ago. I just couldn't stop. I'm seeing a counselor now and have attended a few meetings. Every other day I wake up with a hangover/withdrawl. I've stopped for about a month on antabuse and all my bloodwork came back perfect, I also lost 20 pounds. So like a moron I figured I could drink again in moderation. About 2 months ago. Back to square 1. Had to lie to my counselor today to cancel an appointment because of a brutal hangover. Said I got sick from my kids. I'm just really afraid and keep thinking it's too late for me. Typical day 1 depression. God I want to be sober. It's day 2 that really gets me. The cravings are brutal but I seem a little better after day 3. I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired so I came here. Thanks for reading all my nonsense and god bless!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, fishin. You've come to a great place for support.

Nothing nonsensical about your post.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I need all the positive reinforcement I can get.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.
I chronicaly relapsed, too. Only it was the fourth day that got me at the beginning. Even with swearing it off, solemn vows and the brutal hangovers I would drink again.
Eventualy this led to be an every day drinker. Doing shooters of whiskey at 8 am and drinking beer the rest of the whole day. I had done it. I was a drunk. I was afraid to quit and afraid to drink because I knew the horrors that waited for me if I stopped.

I attended AA meetings where I found people just like me, only with different stories. I thought I was alone in my drinking. I learned from the people there I was not.
Even with that knowledge, I drank again. But it wasn't the same. Something had clicked in my brain. My moment of clarity, if you will.
I keep fresh in my mind the nightmarish hangovers, the wasted days and missed opportunities.
Some self knowledge that I am an alcoholic, who can not safely drink, what I learned in AA and the memories of my horrorable life have kept me sober for over three years now.
So, no, it's not too late for you.
You've had some sober time and you can do it again. It took me a long time, but I never gave up trying. I wish the same for you.
You've found a great place for support I hope it helps you.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Fishin! You are with people who truly understand. I felt so much better when I found SR - I wasn't alone anymore.

I drank to ease my stress too. In the end, it did just the opposite - my anxiety level was huge & I was miserable. You're doing a great thing by getting free of it. You can do it.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After joining this forum just a few minutes ago I already feel a sense of relief. As I sit here scared and crying I am comforted to know I am not alone.

I feel ridiculous for being terrified that I will lose some of my closest friends by not drinking. It seems that every event or outing is one based around a bar or excuse to drink. Whether it's just having friends over for dinner, or heading out for a meal to celebrate a birthday, the drinks seem to be central to our fun. And what I've realized, is that the anxiety and depression I feel after these nights is not worth it.

I don't want to spend my days exhausted and hungover dealing with anxiety, I want to spend my days being healthy and successful.

My struggle is now being honest with myself and my support system, and I am hoping that everyone will "have my back". Will I feel left out? What will weekends consist of? Will my boyfriend still love me, I'm hoping he will love me more.

Are these feelings normal? When does it get easier, or does it ever?

Sorry to rant on and on, just looking for others to understand.

Thank you for reading. And I wish you all luck and send love and support to each and every one of you, and your families.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, fishin and meg.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome to SR, Fishin!

Stick around SR and you'll get great support. You're in the right place!

As for the first few days, treat yourself like you're sick -- you are. Don't expect too much too soon and don't let anything persuade you to "make yourself well" with a drink -- not today!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome to SR Fishin
Old 03-18-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome, Meglet! You will find that other people -- non-problem drinkers -- don't care too much if you're not drinking. It's you who cares. Just keep remembering that you care MORE about getting sober than you do about ANYTHING else! <3
Old 03-18-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family!!
Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of support here to help you stop drinking for good.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks least. I can see that day. And hope for it all the time.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well I'm 24hrs in. Hope I can sleep. Afraid of tomorrow but know its necessary. Thank you for your support today. See you guys and gals tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Welcome! Congrats on making it through your first day!

Make sure to drink plenty of fluids and eat something. Lots of people use something sweet to help with the cravings... ice cream, chocolate, fruit.

It's going to get better. Hang in there!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 2. Feel like a bag of dirt. Nausea, chills, headache,etc. I want to go to a meeting but feel so sick. Withdrawal seems a bit worse this time. Not sure I want to get out of bed. Wifey is making some toast so I can get some vitamins in me. This sucks but I'm not going to drink today!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Fishin, get to that meeting if there is any way you can do it! Everyone there will understand and you need that support.

Meglet, I was in your shoes seven months ago. You can do this and life WILL be better. Go for it!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hang in there Buddy. You NEVER have to feel like this again. Lots of people will share what worked with them. But the bottom line is to just not start up again.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 2! Trying to get myself motivated to do something positive - get to the gym or maybe just a walk around the block.
Not to mention it's time to get back to work.

I'm still feeling scared about losing people but in reading all your kind and supportive responses I guess anyone I lose isn't worth having in my life.

Stay strong my new friends!