Notices

Today is day 1 of the rest of my life.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is day 1 of the rest of my life.

I have struggled with addiction the last 3 1/2 years on and off. I was seriously in denial about my drug use and have finally come to realize how much different it makes me.

I want to be a better Mom and wife. I want to quit hiding in the bathroom to get one last hit before I have to put on a smile and fight through the rest of the day until I can smoke again. It's sad to admit what I was doing behind closed doors and I still want to deny it was even happening, but I know I need to be honest with myself and hold myself accountable.

People probably never even suspected my drug use, I played a good act for a long time, but now I'm tired of pretending. Marijuana has became a source of anxiety and chest pains. It's no longer relaxing (which was why I began in the first place) and I just feel so guilty all the time, like I know it's wrong and I shouldn't be doing it, but I keep running back for comfort even though it just makes my anxiety worse. I can't live like this anymore and I'm so glad I found this website. I'm not really sure how to start or where to to begin. I need to do this for myself and most importantly for my family.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats today is day one of the rest of my life too. Just know that if you stick around your life will change immensely in the best possible way. I'm feeling depressed and sad today from my relapse but I know there is nowhere to go but up from here. Take care. Xo
Old 03-17-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have made the choice to live a sober life.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not easy but you will feel so good in doing this. You will get YOU back, too.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind words, I'm hoping it gets easier soon. Today is a great day for Day 1, isn't it?? I'm sorry about your relapse, it happens to the best of us I think. You can't change the choices you made yesterday, but you can make better choices today. I'm trying to remember this today! XO
Old 03-17-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Kris47, I can't wait until I finally feel like the person I was before! Living in a haze isn't really living at all. I feel like I've missed out on a lot of time I can never get back and it hurts deeply, but I'm trying not to look back. I just want to deal with today and keep it movin'!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Welcome!

There's lots of great people here with lots of great advice.

Just take it one day at a time.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mamma,
I can relate. It just gets to the point where it is no fun anymore and really does not work. Congratulations on day 1
Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on moving forward.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you Mamma - I think you'll love being part of us - the encouragement & friendship is amazing.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MammabearJ

I was a 30 year smoker, so I know what you're going through. The good news is it is possible to leave the weed behind

There's a lot of support here too - I'm really glad you found us.

Do you have a plan at all on how to stay quit?

D
Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Dee74! Well my plan is to avoid it entirely. I threw out all my paraphernalia last night. I really have no plans other than that. I'd really like to work through the 12 steps, but I'm not sure how to do that. I wouldn't be able to attend meetings or anything but I'm willing to do the work so I don't fall back into my old habits again. Is there a way to find a sponsor through these forums?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 1 is almost over and I've made it. Thanks again for the encouragement everyone.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. There's a ton of support here so take advantage of it to help you stay clean and sober.