Notices

Sober in The Old Smoke...

Old 03-17-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober in The Old Smoke...

Having read a lot of posts from fellow soberites in the UK, it occurred to me on this trip to London that I might find the surrounding and the context of British alcohol-culture a bit daunting.

Indeed, I've been reminded on several occasions about how pervasive booze is around here... particularly over the St. Paddy's Day weekend. But yesterday after having a 4 hour nap to shake off my jet lag after arriving at 7am, I had a couple coffees and took the train into central London.

I met up with a friend and his wife and friends who happened to be in town (ahh, the wonders of facebook). After that, took a jogging tour through the city. Big Ben and Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park.... a nice 'tourist paced' 5.2 mile run through a spring-fueled London in the golden evening sun.

At Kensington Garden I took off my shoes and felt the grass underfoot, stretched out and lay there as a swollen full moon rose through the trees. Took the tube and the train back to my hotel and had a lovely Tikka Masala for dinner with a bottle of San Pellegrino and read a book.... "Proof of Heaven" - a truly intriguing story. I looked up as the aroma of a fellow patron's wine reached my senses from several tables away. It was quite remarkable how potent that smell was. I noted also I could smell the beer from another diner's table..... and with a smile I noted that I found my San Pellegrino far more fabulous than either of those; not a craving to be found.

Happy Monday All....

Old 03-17-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a great weekend FreeOwl

D
Old 03-17-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a great way to start the week, thank you!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Looking4Help123 View Post

What a great way to start the week, thank you!
I reckon the same would work Down Under....

Old 03-17-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I reckon the same would work Down Under....

Yeah I love my running. Never considered running tourism before though! I have been in London in early spring, if the sun manages to break through its a lovely place.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sober in London is cool !

I run Hyde park most Tuesday evenings after work and I love it

Tomorrow going to a restaurant in soho social eating house or something it's called , fruit cocktail in hand , uber cool

London is a good city to be sober in , so much to do and see without the thought of drinking , lots of people do not drink . Today I will be staring at the sad sheep like people in silly Guinness hats that are stuck in the brainwashing cycle of drink = enjoyment . Poor people , don't know what they are missing.

I drove around Trafalgar sq last night at about 8 pm the whole area was disgusting , full of drunk zombies falling over and stumbling into cars in traffic , broken bottles and glass everywhere , people sitting drunk in the middle of the traffic island , St Patricks day festival same ole dull bs.

Great post btw !
Old 03-17-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like you had a great time.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Having read a lot of posts from fellow soberites in the UK, it occurred to me on this trip to London that I might find the surrounding and the context of British alcohol-culture a bit daunting. Indeed, I've been reminded on several occasions about how pervasive booze is around here... particularly over the St. Paddy's Day weekend. But yesterday after having a 4 hour nap to shake off my jet lag after arriving at 7am, I had a couple coffees and took the train into central London. I met up with a friend and his wife and friends who happened to be in town (ahh, the wonders of facebook). After that, took a jogging tour through the city. Big Ben and Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park.... a nice 'tourist paced' 5.2 mile run through a spring-fueled London in the golden evening sun. At Kensington Garden I took off my shoes and felt the grass underfoot, stretched out and lay there as a swollen full moon rose through the trees. Took the tube and the train back to my hotel and had a lovely Tikka Masala for dinner with a bottle of San Pellegrino and read a book.... "Proof of Heaven" - a truly intriguing story. I looked up as the aroma of a fellow patron's wine reached my senses from several tables away. It was quite remarkable how potent that smell was. I noted also I could smell the beer from another diner's table..... and with a smile I noted that I found my San Pellegrino far more fabulous than either of those; not a craving to be found. Happy Monday All....
Great post FreeOwl, welcome to London. It's been an exceptional weekend, stunning weather and so much to do and appreciate. Even more so through sober eyes, thank-you for posting and have a great rest of trip x
Old 03-17-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to London! Its a great city, should be fairly sunny this week...glad you werent tempted to drink, there is a massive drinking culture here, but as my fellow posters state there is plenty to do here without alcohol. It is everywhere, but I realise I cant be part of that, so let them enjoy....we have seen the other side of the coin

Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

jealous about you being in London. My very first day in London ever was the first warm day of spring. There were people lying all over the parks with their tops off going red. My daughter had to stop me going around and telling them to use sunscreen.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Looking4Help123 View Post
Yeah I love my running. Never considered running tourism before though! I have been in London in early spring, if the sun manages to break through its a lovely place.
Running as tourism is a fantastic way to go!!

Thursday I'll be doing the same along the Seine.... London-Paris sightseeing/jogging between work commitments. WHOOT!!

As an aside; HOW THE HELL DO BRITS IRON THEIR CLOTHING!!???

I have an iron and ironing board in my hotel room but the bleeding electrical cord is about two feet long!!! Not long enough to extend from the plug to the full shirt's length.... #halfironedinLondon

hahaha!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

That sounds great. Jealous of the running scenery!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Running as tourism is a fantastic way to go!! Thursday I'll be doing the same along the Seine.... London-Paris sightseeing/jogging between work commitments. WHOOT!! As an aside; HOW THE HELL DO BRITS IRON THEIR CLOTHING!!??? I have an iron and ironing board in my hotel room but the bleeding electrical cord is about two feet long!!! Not long enough to extend from the plug to the full shirt's length.... #halfironedinLondon hahaha!!!
Paris AND London in Spring. Nice! We'll take you crumpled, FreeOwl.